Packet filtering for VM

MrTaker

Feb 28, 2019
Dear Colleagues,

Please help me to resolve the issue...

What i have: proxmox with 1 VM. On this VM works windows system and some server application on it. this server-app works with remote clients (specific client side software). And connection between server side and client side supports TCP protocol only on 1 specific port (i can set this port manually), for example port number 3000.

Thats all OK, but i need to filter ANY incoming traffic to this port (other ports already filtered) excluding traffic from client-side specific software... Because, for example i can connect to server via telnet on 3000 port, and flood, or via browser on 3000 port. Server just receives any incoming connection on 3000 port and that is a problem, cuz server can hang when it receives too much different connections (not from client-soft side)..

Server side soft rather old, and i cannot change anything with network rules on server-applicaion side and client side software both.

I cannot understand how to do this..

What if i can create a rule on proxmox firewall that can check NEW connection with quantity of first 5-7 packets, because client-server new connection always opens with SYN - SYN\ACK and then from clinet to server sends 3 packets..
Can i set any rule, to ACCEPT this new connection if after SYN-SYN\ACK server receives 3 packets from client, and REJECT connections with only SYN-SYN\ACK packets and no info after that, or REJECT connections with SYN-SYN\ACK and 3+ packets from client side...

Sorry for my english please(

Hi,
maybe have a look at nf_conntrack_max to limit the number of connections.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!