P2V Win2008R2 with LSISAS2108 -> Proxmox

jaceqp

May 28, 2018
Hi there. I have 2 identical servers to virtualize. (1x Xeon E5-2620, 16GB RAM, 2xSSD 200GB + 2x900GB SAS).

Each one of them is used for different purpose like some RDP or some relatively small SQL databases/apps (but same Win2008 R2 OS). I'm thinking of upgrading both to 32-64GB RAM, add 2nd CPU (total 12-16 cores) plus perhapse some storage upgrade if needed.
Thing is I'm willing to virtualize both OS'es and gain some redundancy in case of hardware failure also gain ability to easier full client recovery with VZdumps backups.

Both servers use LSISAS2108 controller with RAID1 2xSAS SSD + 2xSAS900GB.
I recently managed to migrate Win2003 from some integrated raid controller to ZFS based Proxmox using Disk2VHD tool (+mergeide etc).
Now - since controller and OS is different I wonder if there might be some extra issues doing it.
Destination storage would probably use same controller RAID setup (LSISAS2108 based) so I guess no ZFS.

Question is: what storage issues might I expect while migrating? Shall stick to the IDE virtualdisk compatibility or is it possible to use VIRTIO for small performance enhancement?
I also might need USB /RS232 passthrough since one of apps uses usb licence key. I hope there should be no issues on that...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!