OVS Bridge for three nodes

0x88e5

Dec 22, 2020
Hello there! I hope you are well. I am trying to set up a network between three nodes with the use of OVS Bridge. Here is what I am trying to do:

There are three servers each one has a NIC with two ports. I need to connect each port back to back to the other servers. In other words, Each server connects to the two other servers. So that that I'v created an OVS Bridge and gave that bridge an IP address and assigned two physical ports for that bridge. I've repeated the configurations for the three servers. But when I ping a server from another server(here I am talking about the three servers which are now connected back to back) each server is ONLY reachable on specific physical ports but not on both physical ports which are already assigned to an OVS Bridge. According to my understanding an OVS Bridge mimics an Ethernet switch, so since each OVS bridge has two physical ports I think that a server should be reachable on both physical ports as long as I am reaching the same IP address on the server. So any help regarding my setup

Thanks in advance

So you have built a full mesh?

Server 1 port 1 to Server 2 port2
Server 2 port1 to Server 3 Port2
Server 3 Port 1 back to Server 1 Port2
or similar

If the bridge would send out on both ports you would have a loop blowing up traffic completely. What the OVS Bridge does (and some switch can do that too) is calculating the shortest path to another server via a Spanning Tree Protocol (usually with RSTP - Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol)

the configuration for one node should be similar to this:

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
ovs_type OVSBridge
ovs_ports ens3f0 ens3f1 ceph1
mtu 9000
up ovs-vsctl set Bridge ${IFACE} rstp_enable=true other_config:rstp-priority=32768 other_config:rstp-forward-delay=4 other_config:rstp-max-age=6
post-up sleep 10

So again: it is not possible to send over two ports simultaneously to the same node in such a configuration.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!