OVH server backup to ftp storage hangs.

ozgurerdogan

Renowned Member
May 2, 2010
Bursa, Turkey, Turkey
I tried nfs and ftp mounts. Problem is proxmox hangs when backing up to backup storage. Sometimes at the end of backup or sometimes begining of process. Is anyona having same issue? It seems like manually backing up works fine. Some issue maybe with fuse. But not sure.

I mount it as:

Code:
curlftpfs#ns3043649.ip-51-255-91.eu:xxxxx@ftpback-rbx3-322.ovh.net /backup fuse allow_root,nonempty,_netdev,direct_io,hard_remove,big_writes 0 0

I had the same issues. Due to the failed/hung backups, the curlftpfs processes would queue and lock the VMs.

I ended up killing all curlftpfs process, all vzdump processes, unmounting the curlftpfs mount, and disabling the storage in Proxmox.

From there, I logged into the OVH control panel and enabled NFS on my backup storage. Then I set up the storage as an NFS server in Proxmox's storage configuration. MUCH more stable. No issues since I have done this. Previously, I was seeing backup issues daily.

I would recommend that you switch to or at least enable NFS for your backup storage at OVH. You can use them both at the same time if you use FTP for other reason, but it will allow you to use NFS with Proxmox.

Doesn't look like curftpfs is cooperating for this use case.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Yes I read many other people had same issue. I also tested NFS it seemed to beating too much resources on node and hanging vms to run proparly, not sure why. I am currently testing CIFS now. Can you please share your nfs setup (fstab) maybe I was mounting not correctly. Thanks.

Hello,

I didn't mount the NFS manually. I just configured it in the Proxmox GUI for adding an NFS server as a storage option. Once you add the server there, you will see the exports are automatically populated by Proxmox. Just select the export which belongs to your account. Then put the username and password, select how many backups are allowed, click OK, and you should be all set.

By the way, I am not running VMs from the NFS share, only storing backups there. I run the VMs on local storage on the node. Never tried to run VMs there. I am assuming the performance would not be very good.

Hope this helps.

I'm 4.2.

No IO issues for me. I have about 6 VMs with daily backup schedules. All have been running smoothly since the switch to NFS. I even have backed all of them up manually yesterday and today with no issues. Goes without a hitch.

Perhaps there is an issue with the network connection to the NFS or perhaps the NFS server itself has high load which is causing slowness for you.

If you can't seem to figure out anything on the Proxmox end it might be helpful to ask OVH support to check out the NFS server for you.

Ah... Sorry to hear there isn't a more apparent reason this is happening.

I am using Proxmox 4.2.

Actually I wrote that post because I tried a lot of different solutions and this was the only works for me.

Hi All

I have a Dedicated Server @OVH and installed Proxmox.

Now i want to do Snapshots and Backups on the NFS / FTP server.

I cant mount the Drive.

Is there some one who could connect and mount it?

Thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!