OVH Proxmox 6 no web gui access

lps90

May 21, 2020
Hi

I just bought 3 OVH Dedicated servers and installed Proxmox 6.
Everything works with no problems at 1st boot.
If i restart the dedicated server, Proxmox Web Gui stops working (not accessible).
(ssh connection is available, but Proxmox Web Gui not...)
Seems to be a OVH (soyoustart) general problem.
P.S. I did not make any configurations, i just reinstalled the machine with Proxmox 6 and restarted the server..

Same happens in both 3 soyoustart dedicated servers.

I'm so unlucky :(

Last edited:
Look in syslog, there should be some indication, you could also manually try and start the services. OVH itself is fine, I've got a couple this weekend just gone with 6 on.

yeah, my kimsufi and OVH machines have no problems.
But soyoustart, if you just try a new installation, it will not work after 1st dedicated server reboot ;)

I tried to manually start but no success..
" /etc/pve/local/pve-ssl.key: failed to load local private key (key_file or key) at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/APIServer/AnyEvent.pm line 1727 "

This seems to be the problem..
Even watching some old threads about this error didnt solve the problem.
(supposedly /etc/hosts is the problem, but not in my case... i think...)

The thing is, after a new proxmox 6 installation, everything works, if i just reboot the server, stops working...
So, soyoustart admins need to solve this problem (not me...), cause it is a general thing, at least since the last 3 days...
Before that, everything it was working properly..

I cannot understand where those keys are, its a long time since I have done this stuff but you should be able to manually generate them. You haven't tried to cluster them have you?

I cannot understand where those keys are, its a long time since I have done this stuff but you should be able to manually generate them. You haven't tried to cluster them have you?
No, i just installed a fresh Proxmox 6 and restarted the server... nothing more..
(Using OVH Proxmox 6 template)

Some info:

# systemctl status -l pve-cluster
● pve-cluster.service - The Proxmox VE cluster filesystem
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/pve-cluster.service; enabled; vendor pres
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2020-06-01 21:11:01 UTC; 3min 40
Process: 1181 ExecStart=/usr/bin/pmxcfs (code=exited, status=255/EXCEPTION)

Jun 01 21:11:01 ProxmoxServer systemd[1]: pve-cluster.service: Service RestartS
Jun 01 21:11:01 ProxmoxServer systemd[1]: pve-cluster.service: Scheduled restar
Jun 01 21:11:01 ProxmoxServer systemd[1]: Stopped The Proxmox VE cluster filesy
Jun 01 21:11:01 ProxmoxServer systemd[1]: pve-cluster.service: Start request re
Jun 01 21:11:01 ProxmoxServer systemd[1]: pve-cluster.service: Failed with resu
Jun 01 21:11:01 ProxmoxServer systemd[1]: Failed to start The Proxmox VE cluste
lines 1-11/11 (END)...skipping...
● pve-cluster.service - The Proxmox VE cluster filesystem
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/pve-cluster.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2020-06-01 21:11:01 UTC; 3min 40s ago
Process: 1181 ExecStart=/usr/bin/pmxcfs (code=exited, status=255/EXCEPTION)

Jun 01 21:11:01 ProxmoxServer systemd[1]: pve-cluster.service: Service RestartSec=100ms expired, scheduling restart.
Jun 01 21:11:01 ProxmoxServer systemd[1]: pve-cluster.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
Jun 01 21:11:01 ProxmoxServer systemd[1]: Stopped The Proxmox VE cluster filesystem.
Jun 01 21:11:01 ProxmoxServer systemd[1]: pve-cluster.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Jun 01 21:11:01 ProxmoxServer systemd[1]: pve-cluster.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Jun 01 21:11:01 ProxmoxServer systemd[1]: Failed to start The Proxmox VE cluster filesystem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# journalctl -u pve-cluster
-- Logs begin at Mon 2020-06-01 21:10:45 UTC, end at Mon 2020-06-01 21:15:41 UTC. --
Jun 01 21:11:00 ProxmoxServer systemd[1]: Starting The Proxmox VE cluster filesystem...
Jun 01 21:11:00 ProxmoxServer pmxcfs[1099]: [main] crit: Unable to get local IP address
Jun 01 21:11:00 ProxmoxServer pmxcfs[1099]: [main] crit: Unable to get local IP address
Jun 01 21:11:00 ProxmoxServer systemd[1]: pve-cluster.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=255/EXCEPTION
Jun 01 21:11:00 ProxmoxServer systemd[1]: pve-cluster.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Jun 01 21:11:00 ProxmoxServer systemd[1]: Failed to start The Proxmox VE cluster filesystem.
Jun 01 21:11:00 ProxmoxServer systemd[1]: pve-cluster.service: Service RestartSec=100ms expired, scheduling restart.
Jun 01 21:11:00 ProxmoxServer systemd[1]: pve-cluster.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 1.
Jun 01 21:11:00 ProxmoxServer systemd[1]: Stopped The Proxmox VE cluster filesystem.
Jun 01 21:11:00 ProxmoxServer systemd[1]: Starting The Proxmox VE cluster filesystem...
Jun 01 21:11:00 ProxmoxServer pmxcfs[1177]: [main] crit: Unable to get local IP address
Jun 01 21:11:00 ProxmoxServer pmxcfs[1177]: [main] crit: Unable to get local IP address
Jun 01 21:11:00 ProxmoxServer systemd[1]: pve-cluster.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=255/EXCEPTION
Jun 01 21:11:00 ProxmoxServer systemd[1]: pve-cluster.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Jun 01 21:11:00 ProxmoxServer systemd[1]: Failed to start The Proxmox VE cluster filesystem.
Jun 01 21:11:00 ProxmoxServer systemd[1]: pve-cluster.service: Service RestartSec=100ms expired, scheduling restart.
Jun 01 21:11:00 ProxmoxServer systemd[1]: pve-cluster.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 2.
Jun 01 21:11:00 ProxmoxServer systemd[1]: Stopped The Proxmox VE cluster filesystem.
Jun 01 21:11:00 ProxmoxServer pmxcfs[1178]: [main] crit: Unable to get local IP address
Jun 01 21:11:00 ProxmoxServer pmxcfs[1178]: [main] crit: Unable to get local IP address
Jun 01 21:11:00 ProxmoxServer systemd[1]: pve-cluster.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 3.
Jun 01 21:11:00 ProxmoxServer pmxcfs[1179]: [main] crit: Unable to get local IP address
Jun 01 21:11:00 ProxmoxServer pmxcfs[1179]: [main] crit: Unable to get local IP address
Jun 01 21:11:00 ProxmoxServer systemd[1]: pve-cluster.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 4.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nano /etc/hosts:

37.187.xxx.201 ProxmoxServer ProxmoxServer
127.0.1.1 ProxmoxServer ProxmoxServer

Any ideas?

Last edited:
127.0.1.1 ProxmoxServer ProxmoxServer

Thats not a fqdn, I don't know if thats important

"SOLVED" (not solved, but i find the problem in soyoustart dedicated servers)

The problem is..

nano /etc/hosts:
127.0.1.1 ProxmoxServer ProxmoxServer «---------------- This line!

I removed this line and started the service, everything started working again.
How can i prevent the server to automatically add this line at the boot?
(cause i delete it, restart the server and it is added automatically!)

Last edited:
Hello,

I have exactly the same issue with my proxmox 6 on SoYouStart.
I try to remove the line and reboot but it was automatically re-added.
I try to manually set the line with "127.0.1.1 test.lan test" for example, but same result.

Code:
root@ns??????:~# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
?.?.?.?     ns??????        ns??????
?.?.?.?     ns??????.ip-?-?-?.eu ns??????

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1     localhost       ip6-localhost   ip6-loopback
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

127.0.1.1       test.lan        test
127.0.1.1       ns??????.ip-?-?-?.eu ns??????      <---- EVIL LINE AFTER REBOOT !

Code:
root@ns??????:~# hostnamectl
   Static hostname: ns??????
         Icon name: computer-server
           Chassis: server
        Machine ID: ????????????????????????????????????????
           Boot ID: ????????????????????????????????????????
  Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
            Kernel: Linux 5.4.41-1-pve
      Architecture: x86-64

Code:
root@ns??????:~# cat /etc/hostname
ns??????

It was very strange because i never encoutered the problem with my old Proxmox 5.4 (buy on OVH too)

Hi,

I have the same problem.
I solved it by disabling cloud init
touch /etc/cloud/cloud-init.disabled

But I don't understand why cloud-init modifies the hosts file

manage_etc_hosts is a at false in /etc/cloud/cloud.cfg

Reactions: Not_Oles
It is a Proxmox 6 template SoYouStart general problem.
I already told them the solution but they cant establish contact with their unix team (loooool)

Hi,

I have the same problem.
I solved it by disabling cloud init
touch /etc/cloud/cloud-init.disabled

But I don't understand why cloud-init modifies the hosts file

manage_etc_hosts is a at false in /etc/cloud/cloud.cfg

The "touch /etc/cloud/cloud-init.disabled" fix also worked for me. I first met this problem in the context of a 6.2 update, so I posted in the 6.2 update thread. Thanks to FabienF for posting the fix.

Besides preventing the GUI from working, and changing /etc/hosts, the problem on my servers also included deleting upon reboot the entire contents of /etc/pve. Because an update && dist-upgrade seemed to work on one server about ten days ago, I assume the problem might be caused by some change within that time period. Hope this is helpful! Thanks again, FabienF!

Reactions: inforex and hbrde
The "touch /etc/cloud/cloud-init.disabled" fix also worked for me. I first met this problem in the context of a 6.2 update, so I posted in the 6.2 update thread. Thanks to FabienF for posting the fix.

Besides preventing the GUI from working, and changing /etc/hosts, the problem on my servers also included deleting upon reboot the entire contents of /etc/pve. Because an update && dist-upgrade seemed to work on one server about ten days ago, I assume the problem might be caused by some change within that time period. Hope this is helpful! Thanks again, FabienF!
Hi,

I've first installed debian 10 then 6.2 and the problem is exactly as described. The "touch /etc/cloud/cloud-init.disabled" solved the problem and now web GUI is up.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!