ovftool-migrated VMs won't start

Feb 17, 2024
I'm new to Proxmox and love it so far, but I can't seem to get any of my VMware (ESXi) VMs to migrate properly. I run ovftool and everything seems fine, but the resulting VMs won't boot, even after I give them a network interface. There's no error, they just hang.

Screenshot 2024-02-17 at 8.30.37 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-17 at 11.10.44 AM.png

The VM is hosted on an NFS share in ESXi, and I'm using the same NFS share (different directories, though) to host the new one on Proxmox, as I'm trying to migrate hardware and don't have a spare server to use, so I'm swapping system drives in and out to boot it in VMware or Proxmox depending on my need at the moment.

To migrate it, I ran
Code:
qm importovf 101 /mnt/pve/vmware/ovf_files/home-assistant/home-assistant.ovf vmware

What should I be looking at next? I've been following several YouTube tutorials, but they're all happy-path, showing just what it should look like.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: akulbe
if VM was setup in UEFI in VMware, you need to set BIOS to OVMF UEFI in VM of Proxmox.

Reactions: Chris
The original was UEFI. I switched it over, and added an EFI disk, but the resulting VM didn't appear to see any of the original disks. I'll re-do that and post a screen grab. I'll also look at the migration guide above again.

With the home assistant VM, I decided instead to grab a backup and restore it to a newly installed image rather than try further to migrate it since it seems an odd duck. I'm past these hurdles with your generous help. Thanks!

Reactions: akulbe

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!