[SOLVED] Overwriting host.fw removes all rules (at least in UI)

c.weilguny

Nov 7, 2019
Hi Forum,

I configure/setup a Proxmox node using Ansible. When I copy a host.fw file to /etc/pve/nodes/<hostname>/host.fw, all rules are gone in the UI. I need to add them again in the UI. Also restarting pve-firewall on that node doesn't change anything. If I do manual changes within the shell (edit the file, add a line), the changes is reflected also in the UI. Whatever ansible does, it makes the node loose the rules, at least in the UI. I even copied the contents of the file to the file copied by Ansible to avoid typos, and of course I set the permissions to 0640/root:www-data, just like they are after I change rules in the UI.

Do I need to reload something? Is it a security mechanism?

Cheers, Chris

hi,

May you try to reload the pve-firewall service? `systemctl reload pve-firewall.service`

Hi,

May you try to md5sum after you edited the "host.fw" manually and the generated/copied file by Ansible?

The md5 sums were different. "Visible" contents were the same (compared in the IDE with the compare function and simply on text-compare.com). So I played around with line endings, trailing blank lines, and ... the culprit enters the stage accompanied by some cruel sound effects ... character encoding. My Jetbrains IDE adds a UTF-8 BOM in the files. If there is a BOM, rules don't show. If I remove the BOM, they work.

If this is a bug, a feature or "works as expected" - I don't know :D At least it works now! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Reactions: Moayad
Glad to read that you fix the issue yourself!

I will go ahead and set your thread as [SOLVED] to help other people who have a similar issue.

Reactions: c.weilguny

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!