override 5 usb lines in config ?

Currently our limit is hardcoded. You could try and change this value in /usr/share/perl5/PVE/QemuServer.pm, but that is not officially supported and might not work at all.

I'd look into passing through entire USB controllers if you really need that many ports (will probably also improve performance).

Hi and thanks for your reply. Can it be that my current mobo only has one usb controller and that this limits my possibilities ? How could i find out ?
Currently, I've been experimenting both with usb device pass through and usb ports, with some mixed results. I haven't been able to figure out from the link you sent me how i could try to pass through entire USB controllers so thanks if you could point me to that ...

Can it be that my current mobo only has one usb controller and that this limits my possibilities
The 5 device limit is a software thing from PVE, doesn't have to do with your hardware. For PCIe passthrough, yes, you'd need a seperate controller (or you pass through your single mainboard controller, but then you won't be able to plug devices into your host system as long as the VM is running).

I haven't been able to figure out from the link you sent me how i could try to pass through entire USB controllers so thanks if you could point me to that ...
In general you need a seperate PCIe device to pass through, although *some* mainboards are fine giving the on-board ones to VMs (depends on IOMMU groups). "PCIe passthrough" is a rather advanced topic, but the documentation link above should provide you with the basics. "VFIO" often yields helpful results on search engines too.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!