overfilled disk in lvm

crackers8199

Jan 14, 2019
i have 3x 10tb disks in my server, and one of the three was dedicated solely to my plex media (for now). i had a lvm thinpool and stupidly created a drive in the thinpool for 10tb (which was too big, obviously). now i've filled the drive and am getting io errors, and can't reactivate it. i also can't repair it because there's no space left on the disk.

how can i fix this and get the data off the disk if i need to format and start over? i have enough room elsewhere to copy files to if i can get them mounted, but i've had no luck figuring out how to get the drive activated and mounted to get the data off of it and move it elsewhere...

i was able to extend to a usb stick, but i can't get the lvms to activate...

# lvchange -ay pve2/vm-107-disk-0

device-mapper: resume ioctl on (253:26) failed: Invalid argument

Unable to resume pve2-data2-tpool (253:26)

can anyone assist me in getting these activated so i can get data off them and fix everything?

i tried the solution from here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lvm2/+bug/1625201

Code:
thin_dump /dev/mapper/vg02-pool0_tmeta > lvm_meta_dum
lvcreate -n pool0meta2 -L 12G vg02
thin_restore -i lvm_meta_dump -o /dev/mapper/vg02-pool0meta2
lvconvert --thinpool vg02/pool0 --poolmetadata vg02/pool0meta2

as my meta was initially 16gb and i've been seeing the same errors in dmesg...but that didn't work either. i still get the error above (invalid argument) if i try to activate the vg...

if i try to activate the lv, i get this (after trying the manual meta recreation from the link above)...

Code:
lvchange -ay pve2/data2
  device-mapper: create ioctl on pve2-data2_tmetaLVM-Zg3oPyGdhFhGZJ7ixqUTMLj61ITjaVbGPVQK6r202WVHBIH12Ds2RjEKeVYWIB98-tmeta failed: Device or resource busy

Last edited:
can anyone assist? i'd really like to get this squared away so i can fix the problem and get my server back up and running...

I cannot give any more advice. In case of a restore it may be recoverable or it may not.

Have you considered to buy a subscription and get help from the Proxmox staff?

I cannot give any more advice. In case of a restore it may be recoverable or it may not.

Have you considered to buy a subscription and get help from the Proxmox staff?

i hadn't, but that's a good point. maybe i'll try that and see if anyone can assist.

edit: actually, nevermind. i didn't realize i needed to get the second level subscription to get support from the staff...$300 isn't something i can afford right now.

is there anyone else out there that can help me get this data back, or am i screwed and just need to start over? i'm getting incredibly frustrated, nothing i have tried works and nobody online seems to be able to help with any of this...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!