Overclock

Talha

Jan 13, 2020
I made CPU frequency 4.5GHz from BIOS but the terminal says 4.2GHz, why?

CPU performance on my virtual servers is very low.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 45
I made CPU frequency 4.5GHz from BIOS but the terminal says 4.2GHz, why?

CPU performance on my virtual servers is very low.
The output shows you the current max freq of all the cores.
The setting in the BIOS is typically the max boost frequency which you will not reach most of the times, especially if your load uses multiple cores. This depends on several factors such as thermals, cpu freq scaling https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CPU_frequency_scaling , workload ecc...
Also, what kind of workload are you using? How do you experience the low CPU performance?

I use the processor for game servers, it performs very poorly. I tried hard to improve performance but failed (Overclock etc.)

Are you seeing the load hit high % on the VM?
How many CPU core are you passing through to the VM?

Can you provide a screenshot of the VM Hardware config page?

So you have a 24 thread CPU, but your only passing through 3 of these threads to that VM.

Nope, im passing through 22 threads to 6 VM. It is only 1 VM

I understand that, however I mean you can't expect more performance than just 3 threads of a CPU that is cut into 24 threads can offer.

From my experience game servers are very CPU intensive, I think you are just pushing the CPU harder than it has capacity wise.

I don't see this is linked to Proxmox in anyway.

But I get great performance when I install the operating system directly without making a virtualization system.

But I get great performance when I install the operating system directly without making a virtualization system.

Because that one OS would have access to all 24 threads at once..

How can I maximize processor frequency?

I don't think you understand. When you just install an OS on the server that OS has access to all 24 threads. When you run a VM and only give it 3 or 6 CPU then your only giving it access to a max of 12.5% or 25% of the max CPU power. So your always going to have less performance.

I don't think there is much more you can do, new CPU's mostly run at their max performance possible with the inbuilt turbo boosts, your not going to get any more meanful performance doing any further changes. You are just asking too much out of a single CPU, and need to reduce the amount of VM's / Game Servers you run and increase the amount of CPU you allocated to each VM.

When I first installed the Proxmox system, when I tested performance with 2 cores with a single VM, the single core performance was awesome.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!