Outgoing Mail Problem

bparsecm

Oct 17, 2008
I'm having trouble sending mail out through proxmox. Mail In, is working fine. I have a 30 trial license for 1 domain. I'm trying to get Exchange 2003 to use proxmox as a smarthost. I've followed the Deployment guide and changed the smtp virtual server settings outbound port to 26 and set the smarthost to the IP of proxmox in square brackets.

If I telnet from the exchange box to proxmox on 26, I can send mail out manually just fine. And I can see the mail out bump up in the Statistics. If I try to send out through Exchange nothing goes out and it looks like it's backing up in the Exchange queue.

If I switch the Exchange smtp virtual server settings back (bypassing proxmox), the mail goes out after a few minutes. Each time I change the smtp virtual server settings, I cycle the service.

I also added the IP of the Exchange server in the Internal Trusted Network list.

Not sure what's happening here. Thanks.

I'm having trouble sending mail out through proxmox. Mail In, is working fine. I have a 30 trial license for 1 domain. I'm trying to get Exchange 2003 to use proxmox as a smarthost. I've followed the Deployment guide and changed the smtp virtual server settings outbound port to 26 and set the smarthost to the IP of proxmox in square brackets.

If I telnet from the exchange box to proxmox on 26, I can send mail out manually just fine. And I can see the mail out bump up in the Statistics. If I try to send out through Exchange nothing goes out and it looks like it's backing up in the Exchange queue.

If I switch the Exchange smtp virtual server settings back (bypassing proxmox), the mail goes out after a few minutes. Each time I change the smtp virtual server settings, I cycle the service.

I also added the IP of the Exchange server in the Internal Trusted Network list.

Not sure what's happening here. Thanks.

if the exchange does not send the mails out you should take a look into the mail queue of the exchange - telling you the reason.

smarthost settings on exchange: try using a FQDM instead of IP address.

I have the same behavior with FQDN. I will check what information I can get out of the queue.

when i look in the exchange queue the messages are just sitting there. if i go to the properties it just says status: queued, failures: 0. I left it for 1 hour and nothing went out.

when i look in the exchange queue the messages are just sitting there. if i go to the properties it just says status: queued, failures: 0. I left it for 1 hour and nothing went out.

if you flush the queue on the exchange side and check if there are connection attemps on Proxmox (see /var/log/syslog). if not, the Exchange is not sending. if yes, what are the logs on Proxmox telling you?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!