Out of range issue on HP servers!

hallaji

May 22, 2022
Hey guys,
I have an issue with the installation when I want to install Proxmox 7.2 on a hp g7 dl380. When I hit the enter key to install the Proxmox option the monitor goes out of range. Also, I tried multiple times with other monitors and nomodeset parameters.

Also, I read all of the posts in this forum about this issue. But it didn't work.
I think having a new post is better because it is better to support a wide range of servers, even the old ones.

Have you tried just using iLO? I don't know when I had an actual monitor connected for the last time to one of my rack servers.

Yes, I tried by ILO, but the same problem persists.
Also, we upgrade the ILO version for G7 dl380.
I think we should find a new way to config the video driver after the grub installation for old servers (such as changing parameters in the grub section for the first time).

Was your external monitor connected at that time?
I checked both with and without a monitor. I checked all the cases in general.
And I think newer versions of Proxmox have this problem with older HP servers(Such as G7, G6, G5 ...).

And I think newer versions of Proxmox have this problem with older HP servers(Such as G7, G6, G5 ...).
Yes, there are multiple reports with Proxmox 7.2 - or more precisely kernel 5.15 - and older hardware. Glad I don't have to reinstall my older installs, so that I do not ran into problems there.

Have you also tried to fix the resolution via vga=xyz command line?

Yes, there are multiple reports with Proxmox 7.2 - or more precisely kernel 5.15 - and older hardware. Glad I don't have to reinstall my older installs, so that I do not ran into problems there.

Have you also tried to fix the resolution via vga=xyz command line?
Exactly, and I think it might be because of the new version of the Linux kernel. Yes, I also tested it with the VGA parameter(such as vga=794, and vga=0x0365 for 1600x900), but in the end I did not have an installation screen and the monitor goes to a black screen without display out of range message.
Can we downgrade grub or something else without changing the stability and abilities of the Proxmox?

Can we downgrade grub or something else without changing the stability and abilities of the Proxmox?
It's not a grub problem. In general, I'd can recommend installing Debian first and then Proxmox VE afterwards, which works at the moment.
You could also use an ISO from 7.0 or 7.1 and upgrade thereafter.

After the install, you may run into the same display problem again, but you system is then installed and can be configured via SSH.

It's not a grub problem. In general, I'd can recommend installing Debian first and then Proxmox VE afterwards, which works at the moment.
You could also use an ISO from 7.0 or 7.1 and upgrade thereafter.

After the install, you may run into the same display problem again, but you system is then installed and can be configured via SSH.
Thank you. But are you sure version 7.1 will work? Because its kernel version is 5 or higher!
Is this problem only with version 5.15?

Last edited:
As far as I understand and interpret the myriad of error threads regarding 7.2, I would suggest yes, but I am not sure. It is worth a try!
Yes, It worked with Proxmox 7.1.2. So, it's possible to change of kernel of the Proxmox 7.2 to downgrade the earlier version?

So, it's possible to change of kernel of the Proxmox 7.2 to downgrade the earlier version?
Do you need a "real" monitor output after you installed the machine? Everything can and should be done via SSH (or serial terminal if you're into hardcore security)

Do you need a "real" monitor output after you installed the machine? Everything can and should be done via SSH (or serial terminal if you're into hardcore security)
No, I said before the installation with the new Proxmox(7.2). There's no need to have a screen after installation but with the new version can I change the kernel version from iso and make another(build new iso with new packages) iso with a lower version or It causes to not work the system properly?

There's no need to have a screen after installation but with the new version can I change the kernel version from iso and make another(build new iso with new packages) iso with a lower version or It causes to not work the system properly?
You want to remaster the PVE install iso? Why??? Just install PVE 7.0 or 7.1 and do a regular update, what is already the recommended first step after installing.

You want to remaster the PVE install iso? Why??? Just install PVE 7.0 or 7.1 and do a regular update, what is already the recommended first step after installing.
Because We are not able to access through the internet our systems. Thank you for your help.

Hey guys

Having still the same issue here.
But they did me dirty - as the 7.1 iso is no longer available for download.
Loving this day man.
What I can't seem to understand - booting the grub using e ( on installation with the install VE selected) and adding vga=794 i think doesn't work either. Screen blacksout and then it just goes into standby mode. Had it running over and hour to be sure. SO yeah.... let's just ignore that completely. Will now have to move over to something else.
Was willing to deal with the whole raid drive shenanigans - but wasting 2 days on a workaround that forces you to use what you don't want - move on, the clearly have better customers.
This is a well know fact but workaround is not documented. everything over the place. and the iso archive doesn't work. Like - why ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!