Out of Memory can't load kernel error on install

BCMielke

Dec 5, 2022
I can't find any information on this one. I have already installed Proxmox on this hard drive before, but couldn't get passthrough to work with my 6750XT card so I thought I would try an older card. After testing and find that I was able to get it to work with that card, I put the new card in. When I booted I received the following error:

Loading Linux 5.15.74-1-pve...
error: out of memory.
Loading initial ramdisk ...
error you need to load the kernel first.

I have since wiped the drive and attempted to reinstall proxmox on the drive. The install went fine, but when I booted I am still getting the above error.

Any thoughts on what I did and how I can fix it?

Good news! I solve the issue myself. I updated the Bios, but that still wan't quite did the trick. I ended up setting the Bios settings to default settings. Once that was done, everything worked without an issue. I don't know how the settings got changed, but regardless I am back up and running.

Reactions: leesteken
Following up here as I had the same issue.

There was a setting in my BIOS/UEFI called C.A.M. (Clever Access Memory). It is related to Resizable BAR, which is mainly used if you're doing gaming or video stuff.

Disabling this setting solves the issue for me.

I had the same issue today. I reset every bios setting to its default, but the issue still was there.

What I needed to do, was to manually remove every entry from the boot order in uefi and place only my usb stick with the proxmox installer in the first boot priority entry. Overwriting the boot priority just for the next boot was not enough.

To sum it up.

Entry1: USB Stick with proxmox installer
Entry2: Disable
Entry3: Disable
Save setting, reboot, an the out of memory issue was away and i could reinstall my system.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!