Order of operations NAS -> Proxmox -> LXC

kewtz

Jun 20, 2023
Hey, I'm probably in over my head.

I have a docker LXC with a running arr stack on an MS-01.
On the network, I have a have a raid 1 Asustor NAS.

In Proxmox I have a ZFS pool setup using the Asustor (fast1).

My goal is to have a directory on the Asustor -- called Shows, and ultimately be able to mount it to the LXC.

This way, I can do hardlinks. Main question is, can I do a mount point to a NAS from an LXC?

While it is possible to run docker in an LXC it is not officially recommended. IMO your life will be a lot easier if you spin up a VM to run docker, because LXC containers are generally unprivileged and a little more convoluted to mount NAS shares in.

IF you continue with the LXC route, your need to mount the NAS share (SMB or NFS) into a folder on your proxmox host using FSTAB, then you can bind mount from the LXC container to the folder you created on your Proxmox host. There was a tutorial written here on how to do it. You will need to modify your LXC config files. You will NOT want to mount that NAS share into Proxmox through the gui as a ZFS pool. I am 99% sure it won't work, unless you make your LXC share privileged which is a security risk. If you set up your docker containers in a VM you can either mount the NAS share to the VM and do a bind mount or you can set up volumes directly on the NAS https://phoenixnap.com/kb/nfs-docker-volumes

While it is possible to run docker in an LXC it is not officially recommended. IMO your life will be a lot easier if you spin up a VM to run docker, because LXC containers are generally unprivileged and a little more convoluted to mount NAS shares in.

IF you continue with the LXC route, your need to mount the NAS share (SMB or NFS) into a folder on your proxmox host using FSTAB, then you can bind mount from the LXC container to the folder you created on your Proxmox host. There was a tutorial written here on how to do it. You will need to modify your LXC config files. You will NOT want to mount that NAS share into Proxmox through the gui as a ZFS pool. I am 99% sure it won't work, unless you make your LXC share privileged which is a security risk. If you set up your docker containers in a VM you can either mount the NAS share to the VM and do a bind mount or you can set up volumes directly on the NAS https://phoenixnap.com/kb/nfs-docker-volumes
Thank you.

Makes sense, will go that route to start.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!