Optimizing proxmox

Sounds good / clear. I have tried ZFS a few times in the past 5 years, and in all cases for my use cases I am much happier with linux software raid config. I do realize different people have different use cases!

Maybe you need more ram, CPU, and possibly other config tuning, in order to achieve acceptable / optimal IO performance. Or different SSD drives as others suggested. Lots of fun options!

I hope it works out well.

I will probably try another test install of proxmox 'sometime this year' just for fun, using ZFS, to see how things have changed since the last time I tested it out. But I guess I'm on the other side of the same argument as you - I have enough systems now which I have deployed, which work really smoothly, that continuing to do the same thing - is simpler than trying something different that breaks the mould. (ie, in my case the 'mould' is - stock proxmox on machines with HW raid; or debian-SW-raid / sometimes with 'bcache' layer added for boosted performance - then adding proxmox-to-debian after-the-fact -- and this 'just works' so smoothly, that -- the various 'maybe useful icing features' are not sufficient for any of my use cases). But you are right, ZFS does have a lot of nice features built in. And it is very nice that it is a 'supported config' in proxmox install.

Thanks!

Tim

Hi,

zfs with Proxmox(cluster), is one of the best combination in the case when you do not have a dedicated shared storage(NFS,gluster, ceph, etc), and you need some kind of replication. If you need this, and your VM/CT have a lot of data, zfs replication is the only option.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!