Optimal RAID and Partitioning for Install

rtlarose

Jan 8, 2021
Hello, I am in the process of virtualizing my bare metal server. I had planned to install Proxmox on 2 - 1TB SSD's in RAID1 and will have 8 - 2TB SSD's in RAID10. Would you say that this configuration is optimal? I am open to suggestions as I would like to set up everything correctly from the beginning. Appreciate the support in advance!

If you want performance thats fine. Do you want to use HW raid or ZFS?
Just keep in mind that Raid10 of 8 drives isn't that secure. 1 to 4 drives may fail without problems but if only 2 drives of the same mirror are failing you loose all the data.

If you just want that two 1TB SSDs for the system thats a bit overkill. 32GB SSDs would be fine.
And keep in mind that enterprise grade SSDs are recommended, especially if you got alot of sync writes or write heavy guests.
Its not that unusual that SSDs may wear out within months with some workloads.

Last edited:
I appreciate the input. I will be using hardware RAID. Given that I already have the current SSD’s how would you configure it?

Raid1 + Raid10 is fine as long as you keep recent backups and you don't need a 100% uptime. If you need high availability I would use Raid1 + Raid6 or Raid1 + tripple mirrored stripe.

And I would install proxmox with lvm thin if you are using HW raid.

Thank you for the recommendations. I will not need high availability for now. My plan is to test different configurations as well as become acclimated as I have no prior experience with virtualization outside of personal use. Once comfortable I plan to put into production as a VPS provider.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!