OPNsense/pfSense install in proxmox VE host wuth 2 NICs

kiptowett

Aug 2, 2023
Hello,

I have a proxmox host with 2 NICs that I need to install virtual OPNsense as my firewall. My internet is from an ISP router, where i have an ethernet cable connected directly to one NIC of my proxmox. All the VMs/LXCs get an IP from the ISP router.

Now I need to have OPNsense installed, and separate the VM network from the mainstream ISP network.

Hello
i do it with my proxmox and PFSEnse :

1690975747606-png.53751

Attachments

• 1690975747606.png
    1690975747606.png
    77.5 KB · Views: 157
Hello
i do it with my proxmox and PFSEnse :

1690975747606-png.53751

Just wondering, why the firewall is on at vmbr2.... is that a DMZ connection?

Did you also install the guest tools on those interfaces?
I read that if you run pfSense in VMware one should not install the guest tools (reason ??).

The way I did it was to install 2 extra NICs (three total) so I could pass two through to pfSense and leave one for the management of Proxmox, etc. You may be able to do it with fewer NICs and VLANs, but 1gbe NICs are very cheap (I think I paid$10 each?) and I had the open PCIe slots. If you go the route of dedicated NICs, then pfSense/Opensense will work like normal.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!