OpenVZ machine not shutting down

mlanner

Renowned Member
Apr 1, 2009
Berkeley, CA
Hi,

I'm running 1.7 with 2.6.32 kernel in a 2 server cluster. I have one OpenVZ machine running and a few KVM ones. Ever since I upgraded to 1.7 I can't get the OpenVZ machine to shut down. All my KVM machines shut down just fine. In order to shut it down I have to force a reboot of my Proxmox host, which forcefully kills the OpenVZ machine. However, I can't open the console and shut my OpenVZ machine down or reboot gracefully, do it from the GUI, or even shut it down from the Proxmox host's CLI.

I know 1.8 is out and I wouldn't mind upgrading, hoping that it would solve my OpenVZ problem. However, my OpenVZ machine is one of the most critical VMs I'm running and I don't want to exacerbate the problem I'm currently having.

Any hints, tips, suggestions are greatly appreciated.

@ ProxTox - What does acpid do? I can't find a good description of it when searching for it. And do you know why it would be that I would suddenly need it now when I haven't needed it before? I'm not averse to installing it, I'm just wondering what it would do and why I've never had an issue with it before.

Thanks.

acpid events listening, this package has helped out people who had the same problem as you.
I not tested. I advise you to seek further information about acpid and testing before a test VM

Thx ProxTox. Will check it out further.

Although it would be a hassle, I'm considering rebuilding my OpenVZ machine and use KVM instead. Over the past year I've had more and more issues with OpenVZ, while I've had very few, if any, issues when using KVM.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!