OpenVZ/ LXC - alternatives?

Yes, your trick also works.

The place to patch would be this (line 23)

Code:
root@proxmox:~# cat -n /usr/share/perl5/PVE/LXC/Setup/CentOS.pm | head -30
     1    package PVE::LXC::Setup::CentOS;
     3    use strict;
     4    use warnings;
     5    use Data::Dumper;
     6    use PVE::Tools;
     7    use PVE::Network;
     8    use PVE::LXC;
    10    use PVE::LXC::Setup::Base;
    12    use base qw(PVE::LXC::Setup::Base);
    14    sub new {
    15        my ($class, $conf, $rootdir) = @_;
    17        my $release = PVE::Tools::file_read_firstline("$rootdir/etc/redhat-release");
    18        die "unable to read version info\n" if !defined($release);
    20        my $version;
    22        if ($release =~ m/release\s+(\d+\.\d+)(\.\d+)?/) {
    23        if ($1 >= 6 && $1 < 8) {
    24            $version = $1;
    25        }
    26        }
    28        die "unsupported centos release '$release'\n" if !$version;
    30        my $self = { conf => $conf, rootdir => $rootdir, version => $version };

The init-system of RHEL5-based OS and RHEL6-based OS are not that different as going to RHEL7-based systems, so your 'trick' can work. Maybe you should also look at the entries in PVE 3.x to see what has been done for RHEL5 with respect to OpenVZ to get a glimpse what you should patch or why.

What do you mean by "a part for annoyng kernel messages in /var/log/messages"?

What do you mean by "a part for annoyng kernel messages in /var/log/messages"?

As in 6.x, it seems that the host's kernel inserts messages in the syslog of the guest.
I noticied it for the iptables messages from shorewall (that I use on the host). I only forward few ports (80, 443, 20,21), to the CT, but In the /var/log/messages of the CT I have some rows that reports the usual port 23, 3389, ... probe. Not all the probes, only a part, apparently without any logic (may be I haven't still found it :) ).
In CentOS 7.x I don't have anything similar in /var/log/messages and neither from jurnalctl I can't extract something similar.

Oh yes, that. Yes. that is annoying and you have to reconfigure your syslog service and do not save the kernel messages (in theory). I have never done this, but it might work.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!