OpenVZ container on NFS or Gluster share

webhodnetworks

Feb 22, 2012
Frankfurt am Main/Germany
Hi all,

I know this issue has already been discused but nobody did post a solution.
We have the following environment:
  • Proxmox Version 3.1-21
  • GlusterFS Storage
  • NFS Storage
  • Proxmox running standalone not in cluster mode

Now my problem: when I create a OpenVZ container in Proxmox and set the storage to the GlusterFS oder NFS Storage (container data stored on GlusterFS or NFS) it takes hours to create the container.
NFS and GlusterFS is running well - the network performance is not the problem. All servers are connected via 1 GBit to the Internet (Carrier 320 GBit).

The strange thing is: when I create a KVM machines, the data will be copied with the full speed to the GlusterFS storage. Also when I do the "move disk" option for KVM from the local store to the GlusterFS everything goes smooth.
Only creating OpenVZ containers is the problem. It does not matter if i try to create the container on the GlusterFS or NFS storage.
Does anybody have the same issue or a solution for this?

Many thanks for your answers.
Regards

Chris

How big are Container Disks that you are trying to create?

For test purpose i created several CTs with following configuration. My cluster is on Proxmox 3.2.
Memory: 1024
Swap 512
Disk: 50GB
CPU: 1

Time to create on Storages:
Local: 5.7 Minutes
FreeNAS NFS: 5.9 Minutes
CephFS : 5.7 Minutes

thank you for your reply.
the disks are even smaller. I tried to create a 20 GB disk, a 50 GB disk and a 1 GB disk.
Everytime the same issue...

You said that you have Proxmox 3.2 - do you think this is maybe a version problem?

You said that you have Proxmox 3.2 - do you think this is maybe a version problem?
Its very much possible. I vaguely remember CT taking longer to create in Proxmox 2.0. I dont deal with CTs often, cannot remember 100%. But at least my current version working fine.

What is the content of your CT configuration file(<ct_id>.conf) right now?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!