OpenVZ backup

xXKaasXx

Jan 3, 2017
Hi.

This is a normal backup made from the same server:
INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 100 --remove 0 --mode snapshot --compress lzo --storage FR1 --node srv6
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 100 (openvz)
INFO: CTID 100 exist unmounted down
INFO: status = stopped
INFO: backup mode: stop
INFO: ionice priority: 7
INFO: creating archive '/mnt/pve/FR1/dump/vzdump-openvz-100-2017_07_23-23_55_32.tar.lzo'
INFO: Total bytes written: 1694976000 (1.6GiB, 8.7MiB/s)
INFO: archive file size: 654MB
INFO: Finished Backup of VM 100 (00:05:46)
INFO: Backup job finished successfully
TASK OK

Everything OK!

Now, to a bigger OpenVZ container:

INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 122 --remove 0 --mode snapshot --compress lzo --storage FR1 --node srv6
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 122 (openvz)
INFO: CTID 122 exist mounted running
INFO: status = running
INFO: mode failure - unable to detect lvm volume group
INFO: trying 'suspend' mode instead
INFO: backup mode: suspend
INFO: ionice priority: 7
INFO: starting first sync /var/lib/vz/private/122/ to /mnt/pve/FR1/dump/vzdump-openvz-122-2017_07_24-00_13_01.tmp

As far as I know. With Suspend, I will get downtime. The downtime is always around 30 minutes.

How can I prevent this? It's the exact same server... But on larger backups it cannot do snapshots.

Thanks

EDIT:

I saw that the first server was offline.

However, I still get downtime doing the snapshot on a larger server. Is there any other way?

ADDING:

root@srv6:~# lvdisplay
--- Logical volume ---
LV Path /dev/vg/home
LV Name home
VG Name vg
LV UUID ugJvL6-Dfq5-Deql-hIbV-tCew-TMx0-Z7NC61
LV Write Access read/write
LV Creation host, time rescue.ovh.net, 2017-06-27 22:09:30 +0200
LV Status available
# open 1
LV Size 97.65 GiB
Current LE 24999
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors auto
- currently set to 256
Block device 253:0

root@srv6:~# vgdisplay
--- Volume group ---
VG Name vg
System ID
Format lvm2
Metadata Areas 1
Metadata Sequence No 2
VG Access read/write
VG Status resizable
MAX LV 0
Cur LV 1
Open LV 1
Max PV 0
Cur PV 1
Act PV 1
VG Size 104.20 GiB
PE Size 4.00 MiB
Total PE 26674
Alloc PE / Size 24999 / 97.65 GiB
Free PE / Size 1675 / 6.54 GiB
VG UUID iqwsmJ-SJTT-Sw1t-btMr-jSQv-1PJJ-heyWrF

df -h on the OPENVZ server that is being back'ed up
df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/simfs 300G 24G 277G 8% /
devtmpfs 7.9G 0 7.9G 0% /dev
tmpfs 7.9G 0 7.9G 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 7.9G 392K 7.9G 1% /run
tmpfs 7.9G 0 7.9G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs 1.6G 0 1.6G 0% /run/user/0

Last edited:
The version you use is old and out of support. You should really update your system! We do not use OpenVZ anymore, and switched to LXC instead...

Hi Dietmar.

I know I should update - But for me, LXCs network config is kind of crap as this server is using OVH. I'd have to add MAC addresses for each and every LXC container. Which means alot.

Would this work on Proxmox 4? I still cannot backup this server. It just hangs after the above.

OpenVZ is out of support, so you can´t continue with this if you care about security and support.

If you have issues with a newer version - current is 5.0 - pls open a new thread.

OpenVZ is out of support, so you can´t continue with this if you care about security and support.

If you have issues with a newer version - current is 5.0 - pls open a new thread.
I will upgrade. However, when I cannot backup that particular OpenVZ container - How should I restore it into LXC?

I will upgrade. However, when I cannot backup that particular OpenVZ container - How should I restore it into LXC?

Seems you have a problem with LVM.? Try to fix it.

Or do a backup in stop mode. Downtime, but this should work if you have lvm issues.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!