OpenVZ and new apps

GarthK

Feb 7, 2009
I read several docs from openvz.org and I still think I'm missing something (no sarcasm, please:). I want to run a ubuntu openvz vm (already running) but I want to install bind9 and use it as a DNS server. Do I need to install bind9 to the underlying VE OS or do I do that inside the ubuntu openvz container? If I want to add features to the openvz container not already in the host VE, do I need to install a full kvm-based vm instead of using openvz?

I really don't have a good feel for how openvz works when the vm wants to run an app not installed in the host os.

Sorry for dumbness...

Garth

This VE is Good Stuff! I loaded a Ubuntu 8.04 server iso file and built a kvm-based vm to be my DNS server. I've convinced myself that it's time to load VE on the big box after I reconfigure the RAID 5 to RAID 10 as suggested.

Keep up the Good Work!

Thanx,
Garth

An OpenVZ VM should be considered a VM just like a KVM-based one. ssh to your ubuntu OpenVZ VM just as if it were a physical bare-metal install of Ubuntu and install BIND or whatever you wanted to do.

The underlying host OS (Debian Etch) has nothing to do with specifically what you install and run inside your OpenVZ or KVM VMs.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!