openvpn setup

diceair

Mar 18, 2013
Hi there.

I have been searching the forums and the net but can't find a solution to my issue. I want to start monitoring clients servers. Currently i have a openvpn server at work using untangle firewall. It works nice when I connect my house and work together. Now I'm trying to do so for the clients by just loading the config into the Proxmox server. if it's not possible then how can I have remote access to the clients without having a static ip or a dedicated line to client.

Thanks

You're confusing a lot of issues that are not related. Proxmox is Debian+apache+KVM+openvz+proxmox "sauce" (the web gui, scripts, libraries to manage virtual machine).

Try looking through Debian documentation on how to set up OpenVPN. Alternatively (and perhaps better): install a router/firewall/remote access solution such as Vyatta or pfSense as a VM and use that to set up openvpn and control access to your server.

You're confusing a lot of issues that are not related. Proxmox is Debian+apache+KVM+openvz+proxmox "sauce" (the web gui, scripts, libraries to manage virtual machine).

Try looking through Debian documentation on how to set up OpenVPN. Alternatively (and perhaps better): install a router/firewall/remote access solution such as Vyatta or pfSense as a VM and use that to set up openvpn and control access to your server.

I have one problem. What if the whole vm machine goes down. Then I can't monitor etc etc. we going to install Teamviewer on the vm's and another pc running ubuntu cause I have to check other stuff aswell. I'm not really sure if the client does have VPN access for us or so but will find out.

Last edited:
Hi diceair,

I came across this post after JimBeam answered mine. Firstly, once you are using virtualized anything there is a risk of the box going down and losing access to all your VMs, however, the beauty of Proxmox is that it can easily cluster so there is High Availability, this is one of the main reasons we use Proxmox. This feature set comes at a cost in other platforms such as ESXi and Xen. Secondly you asked for the solution based on your current Proxmox Server which is to specifically place a VM in there to monitor client servers. So I assume that you already have considered this risk. Question, when you say manage, do you mean Remotely Manage (RDP, VNC, HTTP(S), etc.) or Monitor (SNMP, WMI) Here are a couple options:

1. Install CactiEZ 0.7 - This is updated and the Kernel now supports Virtualization. It is Linux based and therefore OpenVZ may be great for a quick deployment. This is an open source full blown SNMP Manager and Syslogger. Have a look.
2. In the event that you are worried about the VM Environment going down, invest in a hardware appliance (Alix Box with Pfsense (US$130) or Zyxell (US$128), etc) for a VPN, then tunnel into these.
3. Alternatively you can attach a Raspberry Pi device (US$50) using an SSHD and GUI running a supported Debian OS and set up SSH tunnels to this device through the VPN Firewall VM or Hardware based, mentioned above, use Putty remotely to tunnel RDP 3389 and VNC common protocols through SSH2 port 22. This gives an added benefit of compression. No need to actually put a separate Raspberry Pi, just create a different Tunnel translation for every customer that you have using Putty.

Hope this helps!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!