Openfiler (Linux) SAN in a container?

Dustyny

Jul 8, 2012
Hey everyone,

I've been researching (and testing) but I haven't found a definitive answer, so I figured I'd ask those who are more knowledgable before I waste the next 3 days banging my head on the wall.

I'm not well versed in containers (I'm better versed hypervisors) so please forgive me if I'm missing something obvious.

I'm working on a project that needs to have a SAN running locally that can serve both local guests as well as guests running on other hosts. Currently I have a 5SSDs and 3HDDs that I'd like to present directly to openfiler running in a container.

I've tried running the SAN in a KVM virtual machine but openfiler doesn't support the virtio drivers (at least not officially), so the drive performance was terrible and unusable.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to bump this but I need to know if I'm wasting my time or not.. Any input would be amazing.

Openfiler cannot run in a container, but I assume you do not mean a container (OpenVZ), you talk about KVM guest!?

Its not recommended to have the SAN virtualized, but maybe you have better results if you use a SAN software supporting virtio.

Tom,

Thanks for the response.. =)

I meant a container, I already have had a Openfiler running in a KVM but I was running in to performance issues. I don't really know much about OpenVZ containers (other then the basics), so I wasn't sure if they can get direct access to HW or not.

I take it you mean its not recommended to run a SAN in a KVM/Promox environment, storage hypervisors have been around for sometime in the VMware world. I figured there would be something similar in the KVM world but I have yet to find anything..

I posted a follow up thread asking for suggestions on Promox friendly ways to tackle storage, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

As for

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!