Open Vswitch

diaolin

Renowned Member
Jul 7, 2008
Trentino Italy
Just a simple question:

anyone tested openvswitch on Proxmox?

Or, better, is it in the future of Proxmox or do you have any other solution for
a virtual switch?

I'm testing 3.x rc1 and i think it's a good solution
(testing on my own lan as stable server)

Tx, Diaolin

Just a simple question:

anyone tested openvswitch on Proxmox?

Or, better, is it in the future of Proxmox or do you have any other solution for
a virtual switch?

I'm testing 3.x rc1 and i think it's a good solution
(testing on my own lan as stable server)

Tx, Diaolin

Hi, the main blocker is that iptables don't work with openvswitch.

Also we need to test it with openvz to see if it's works fine.

Why iptables does not work?
Do you mean usign iptables on the Proxmox node itself (of course)?

I'm also wondering about this, as I have a VLAN intensive setup I'm busy with, where I'll do the actual firewalling between application/SQL/backend VMs using another set of VMs, making use of CARP for fail-over, and then I need a lot of bridges/vlans/etc.

The OpenVSwitch DO have a security/firewall feature set, so no need (for most of it) to have iptables (unless you need to do fancy stuff), but here I am thinking: fancy stuff: just add a VM instance (~256MB?) to do only iptables if you need the fancy stuff, and have OpenVswitch etc. do the switching/bridging/etc.

My main issue I'm actually after, is a MSTP (STP per VLAN instance) given my blades that are connecting to two different switches and I wanted fail-over between those switches, and the VMs (that might've migrated) and the rest of the network. But that looks like it's not do-able today... time to replan my network.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!