Open Vswitch - VLAN tagging

AkhiMertail

May 29, 2021
Hello,

I have installed PROXMOX 6.4 on our Dell server R820. Already the Dell server is connected to VLAN 61, So does all the VM created under can use IP address under VLAN 61 automatically ?

What is the configuration required under OPEN Vswitch to use a new VLAN once we cable into new VLAN physically ? Is there anything configuration which can help me to use new VLAN ?

When we create a new VM under Network TAB , we see
192.168.l.l
Bridge : vmbr0
model : virtlo

So if the Bare metal server is already connected to VLAN 61 , Do I need to give VLAN tagging to use the IP under VLAN 61 or it any VM created can use the unused IP under VLAN 61 ?

routerlogin
Any response would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
1. You should create your bridge configuration with vlan. For example:
name: vmbr61 type: Linux Bridge vlan.aware: no bridge: eno1.61 ipv4: x.x.x.x/x
eno1 is your server's network interface with vlan.
2. I can't advise you on this openvswitch config. I'm sorry
3. vmbr0 is your default network bridge without vlan. When you create VM you should attach your created vlan bridge and put network address which located in same subnet in 1st step. After attached this bridge, your VM and physic server's are connected through vlan.

Most physical devices connected to an 'untagged' or 'native' switch port on VLAN 61 will default to that VLAN and I would expect an untagged OpenVSwitch would be treated in the same way.

Controlling VLAN id's on OpenVSwitch ports is explained here
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Open_vSwitch

If I understand you correctly, you have connected the Dell to an (untagged) access port, not a trunk port, i.e. the Dell it not aware of any VLANs at all and only sees VLAN61 without even knowing that is a VLAN. All VMs will then automatically use this and you need not and cannot configure anything regarding VLANs (except for VLANs that only exist within Proxmox and are not connected to the outside world of course).

What do you mean by "once we cable into new VLAN physically". To me, this is a contradiction as the "V" in "VLAN" is for "virtual" so there is nothing to plug in physically. ;)

Generally, I see two possibilities to connect additional VLANs:

1. You connect your additional VLAN via an access port to a separate physical interface on your Dell and create a new bridge on Proxmox. Then you can select the other bridge in your VM network adapter settings.

2. The more flexible one and like you normally to it with physical switches: You connect the Dell to a trunk port on your physical switch. You will then have VLAN 61 either as the native untagged VLAN or as a tagged VLAN and you have to configure your physical interface in Proxmox OVS accordingly. All other VLANs will be tagged VLANs. If you want to manage your Proxmox via VLAN 61 (I assume so), you have to create an OVS IntPort connected to this VLAN and configure the IP addresses of Proxmox there (not on the physical interface!), as described on https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Open_vSwitch as bobmc mentioned. The "Example 1: Bridge + Internal Ports + Untagged traffic" is what you need if you connect VLAN 61 as native untagged, just replace 1 with 61. You only need the vlan55 from the example if to want the host to be able to connect to the additional VLAN, you don't need it if only VMs should use it! I have this setup (except that my management VLAN is 1 instead of 61, exactly as in the example) and am very happy with it. (Unlike the Linux bridge crap I started with. :p ) You can then connect VMs to any VLAN of the trunk port by just setting it in the VM network adapter settings (tag=...). No need to change anything of the host network config for using additional VLANs in VMs.

Actually, there is a third possibility, but I think this is weird: It's like 1, but you connect it to the existing OVS bridge and map it to an arbitrary VLAN number within Proxmox, independently of the VLAN numbering in your physical network, so somehow 1 and 2 combined. But I wouldn't do that. ;)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!