Open Virtual Switch recommendations

stuartbh

Dec 2, 2019
ProxMox users, developers, et alia:

I am thinking about migrating from this barrage of interfaces I have now within ProxMox to trying to use an Open Virtual Switch model and am wondering what other folks have had in terms of experiences and what type of configurations worked for you?

Here is what I wish to configure into my solution:

1) Link aggregate 4 1GB interfaces (a couple of my servers have only 2 1GB ports)
2) Be able to make use of 4 different VLANs that are on my LAN
3) My server is plugged into a trunked port with the expectation that all packets will be tagged in precedence to ingress to the trunk port
4) A few VMs require access to multiple VLANs, though most need only my main VLAN access.

Thanks in advance!

Stuart

If you're thinking about using LACP with OVS, don't. It's buggy and unreliable.

There's nothing stopping you using SDN configurations with normal Linux bonds. This is something I only recently discovered!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!