Only send ZFS FS

mhbosch

Dec 22, 2020
Hello,

I would like to create a decentralized backup for my ZFS FS. This is currently on a Proxmox server, but is not mounted for proxmox, but is created at the server level and shared via Samba. Currently, I am sending it to another drive using send/recv with zrep. However, to create geo-redundancy, I want to send it outside. For this, I wanted to set up a backup server and address it via DYNDS.
  • Can I expose the ZFS FS so that I can back it up (via storage.cfg?)? Or do I have to resort to the CLI?
  • Are the backups also available with snapshots? So that if I accidentally delete data, I can also restore it?
I hope I expressed myself clearly.

Greetings,

mhbosch

Hello,

I would like to create a decentralized backup for my ZFS FS. This is currently on a Proxmox server, but is not mounted for proxmox, but is created at the server level and shared via Samba. Currently, I am sending it to another drive using send/recv with zrep. However, to create geo-redundancy, I want to send it outside. For this, I wanted to set up a backup server and address it via DYNDS.
  • Can I expose the ZFS FS so that I can back it up (via storage.cfg?)? Or do I have to resort to the CLI?
  • Are the backups also available with snapshots? So that if I accidentally delete data, I can also restore it?
I hope I expressed myself clearly.

Greetings,

mhbosch
Hi,
so if I got you correctly, your goal is to use the PBS client to create a file level backup of the data contained on the ZFS datastet for your offsite backup. This is possible via the CLI, see how to invoke the command https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/backup-client.html. If that is not what you intended, you could also sync the zfs snapshot via send/recv to the offsite host, not requiring a PBS instance.

If you go down the route with PBS file level backups, you do not rely on the ZFS for being the backing storage, your backups are agnostic to the underlying storage. This however implies, that none of the ZFS features (e.g. snapshots) are utilized.

In PBS, if you create a new backup, this is referred to as snaphshot, and can be restored/inspected/ecc. Note however that this has nothing to do with a ZFS snapshot.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!