"Only root can set 'usb' config on real devices (500) USB Passthrough issue

ConnorCurran

Jun 28, 2023
Hello,

Hope you can help, recently upgraded to v8 and now my users are unable to create VMs from a clone template.

The template has built in USB passthrough with named host ports, now whenever I try to make a VM from the template i am given the error message "Only root can set 'usb#' config for real devices - where #is the number of USB port - it affects all of them

Any help would be greatly appreciated

that was one of the breaking changes. Here the quote from the roadmap:
Only root@pam is now allowed to clone and restore guests with passed through PCI/USB devices that are not using the new mapping feature. To allow regular users to clone and restore with PCI/USB devices, create a mapping and give the user 'Mapping.Use' on that.

Reactions: nogetfx

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!