One VM offline and cannot access with credentials after power failure

tdp_tpc

Apr 14, 2021
Hi guys

I am fairly new to proxmox. We are running Proxmox VE 5.4-13 with 6 VMs, been running like this for quite some time without any issues. We had a power failure yesterday and since then the one VM is offline on the host. Cannot ping, does not show up on network scans etc etc. I am contemplating reboot the host but wanted to check what the pros / cons are or if there are other ways to troubleshoot. I tried to shut down the VM with the shutdown off centre to the right but it does not shut down.

Will restarting the host solve the problem? I have root shell access to host.

Thank you in advance

The VM did not boot succesfully once power was back? Can you access the GUI? https://<host>:8006

If so, you can take a look at the VMs console to take a closer look what is going on. It probably hangs somewhere can does not honor shutdown requests because of that.

You can also stop a VM (like pulling the power) with qm stop <vmid>

The VM did not boot succesfully once power was back? Can you access the GUI? https://<host>:8006

If so, you can take a look at the VMs console to take a closer look what is going on. It probably hangs somewhere can does not honor shutdown requests because of that.

You can also stop a VM (like pulling the power) with qm stop <vmid>
Hi aaron, thank you for the response, that is correct, when the power was restored, all the other vms came online except this one. I have access to the host, gui and cli. When I look at the VMs console the login screens appears but the credentials that I was given do not work. I realized that there is an issue when the map drives, for this vm were not available. Prior to posting on this forum I did a network scan and could not find the VM on the LAN.

pic 1.PNG
Hi, tried the unlock and got the following error. pic1 and pic 2 attached. I read up on the unlock error on the proxmox forums, shall I follow the steps as per forum or is this error applicable to a specific step?

Attachments

• pic 2.PNG
    pic 2.PNG
    6.5 KB · Views: 1
Is there currently a backup job running? (Task log, bottom panel in the GUI) if so, then either cancel that job or wait until that VM is backed up.

If there is no backup job currently running and the VM stayed locked (for whatever reason, but that is another topic), you can unlock it with qm unlock <vmid>

Hi aaron, thank you for the response, all tasks completed, as per screenshot, only task is me on the host. rest errors. Tx a stack for help.Tasks.PNG

Here is a snippet from the logs that I am busy going through, I also tried adding another user, and adding another nas directory and kept on getting no quorum errors. I noticed similar error in logs after power outage, all help is appreciated. I can post today or yesterdays logs but it is really very long.

Apr 13 22:07:08 proxmox pvesr[1932]: trying to acquire cfs lock 'file-replication_cfg' ...
Apr 13 22:07:09 proxmox pvesr[1932]: error with cfs lock 'file-replication_cfg': no quorum!
Apr 13 22:07:09 proxmox systemd[1]: pvesr.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=13/n/a
Apr 13 22:07:09 proxmox systemd[1]: Failed to start Proxmox VE replication runner.
Apr 13 22:07:09 proxmox systemd[1]: pvesr.service: Unit entered failed state.
Apr 13 22:07:09 proxmox systemd[1]: pvesr.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Apr 13 22:08:00 proxmox systemd[1]: Starting Proxmox VE replication runner...

Thank you for guys for your assistance, appreciate it. I managed. The credentials for the VM were given to me, I logged in and restarted it. Up and running.

Reactions: aaron

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!