One subnet and two NICs

Zamana

Renowned Member
Dec 20, 2015
Hi!

My Proxmox server is running on a Supermicro X11SSL-CF motherboard. It has 3 ethernet interfaces: 1 for IPMI and 2 regular ethernet interfaces for general use.

I have just one network/subnet (192.168.0.0/24), and I'm using only one NIC.

Is there some use for this second interface? And if yes, how should I configure it? How should I use it? And for what? What would be the benefits?

Thanks.
Regards.

You should bond the interfaces to form a single logical interface.

This gives you the advantage of having a single IP address, with the ability to have redundant physical interfaces. You likely need a switch capable of this. Research how to setup LACP between a server and a cisco switch (most managed switches will support some form of bonding, such as LACP)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!