[SOLVED] One external IPv4 (Wireguard) and multiple VMs (Virtual NAT)

eisteed

Jun 10, 2020
Hello everyone,
I'm using proxmox for my self-hosted apps, sites and gaming server

My internet provider stopped IPV4 support, so I cannot do any classic port forwarding (except on IPV6 which is still not always working for everything).
I came across a solution using OVH VPS and additional IPs where I connect every VMs to a single IP using wireguard.

So my traffic is :
internet <-> VPS (wireguard) -> VMs

And this is working great except additional IPV4 IPs will be charged a monthly fee (one time payment at the moment) and I do not have this budget for personal projects. I'm currently running 4 VMs with external IPs.
So I'm trying to rethink my network using one single external IPs and finding a replacement to NAT internally (preferably with some GUI to manage port forwarding).

My plan is:
internet <-> VPS (WireGuard) <-> Proxmox <-> Virtual NAT or Reverse Proxy <-> VMs

But I'm unsure of it and how to do it.
- I read about adding NAT on proxmox modifying /etc/network/interfaces but then it seems everything must be done in CLI and this is kind of hard to manage multiple port forwarding without any UI / Web UI.
- I also read about PFsense or adding another VM to act as a replacement to a physical IPV4 NAT but also unsure on how to setup it.
- Finally thought of simply using a reverse proxy for everything but I don't think everything can be done with nginx (gaming servers, thinkbox deadline server, PBS)

I need to keep my wireguard implementation in order to keep my IPV4 public IP and I'm not experimented enough in networking to find a simple solution.

Any help, advices or docs/tutorial is much appreciated
Thanks !

Last edited:
Solution for anyone that needs it :

1. Buy/Use a single additional IP on your VPS
2. Set additional IP as Alias on your VPS
https://support.us.ovhcloud.com/hc/en-us/articles/7154925809683-How-to-Configure-IP-Aliasing
https://docs.ovh.com/fr/dedicated/network-ipaliasing/

3. Create a network VMs / VPS with wireguard (10.x.x.x)
Wireguard VPS config act as IPv4 NAT / port forwarding with rules like that :

Code:
#Client ON
PreUp = iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d additonalipexternal -p tcp --match multiport --dports 80,443,whateverportsneeded -j DNAT --to-destination internalIP(wireguard)
PreUp = iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s  internalIP(wireguard)/32 -j SNAT --to-source additonalipexternal

#Client OFF
PreDown = iptables -t nat -D PREROUTING -d additonalipexternal -p tcp --match multiport --dports 80,443,whateverportsneeded -j DNAT --to-destination internalIP(wireguard)
PreDown = iptables -t nat -D POSTROUTING -s  internalIP(wireguard)/32 -j SNAT --to-source additonalipexternal

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!