On boot failed to start Import ZFS pool that was removed

May 23, 2021
I get the following message on boot:

[FAILED] Failed to start Import ZFS pool pve\x2dvm01

IIRC, first, I removed the storage from the "data center", then I deleted this ZFS pool pve\x2dvm01 (or pve-vm01) using the destroy command instead of the GUI disk > ZFS > more. I then wiped the disks from the GUI disk menu to remove As a result, I suppose some operation did not take place and the system is trying to import so ghost pool.

Code:
root@ch01-pve01:~# systemctl --failed
  UNIT                           LOAD   ACTIVE SUB    DESCRIPTION
● zfs-import@pve\x2dvm01.service loaded failed failed Import ZFS pool pve\x2dvm01

LOAD   = Reflects whether the unit definition was properly loaded.
ACTIVE = The high-level unit activation state, i.e. generalization of SUB.
SUB    = The low-level unit activation state, values depend on unit type.
1 loaded units listed.

Looking at the import cache seems okay

Code:
root@ch01-pve01:~# zpool get cachefile
NAME   PROPERTY   VALUE      SOURCE
rpool  cachefile  -          default
zfs01  cachefile  none       local

root@ch01-pve01:~# systemctl status zfs-import-cache
● zfs-import-cache.service - Import ZFS pools by cache file
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/zfs-import-cache.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: active (exited) since Mon 2023-01-30 11:20:48 CET; 1h 15min ago
       Docs: man:zpool(8)
    Process: 2270 ExecStart=/sbin/zpool import -c /etc/zfs/zpool.cache -aN $ZPOOL_IMPORT_OPTS (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
   Main PID: 2270 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
        CPU: 5ms

Jan 30 11:20:48 ch01-pve01 systemd[1]: Starting Import ZFS pools by cache file...
Jan 30 11:20:48 ch01-pve01 zpool[2270]: no pools available to import
Jan 30 11:20:48 ch01-pve01 systemd[1]: Finished Import ZFS pools by cache file.

The zpools appear okay

Code:
root@ch01-pve01:~# zpool list
NAME    SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  CKPOINT  EXPANDSZ   FRAG    CAP  DEDUP    HEALTH  ALTROOT
rpool  1.73T  1.71G  1.73T        -         -     0%     0%  1.00x    ONLINE  -
zfs01  3.48T  1.50M  3.48T        -         -     0%     0%  1.00x    ONLINE  -

root@ch01-pve01:~# zpool status -v
  pool: rpool
 state: ONLINE
config:

NAME                                                 STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        rpool                                                ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror-0                                           ONLINE       0     0     0
            nvme-eui.36363630549014930025385300000001-part3  ONLINE       0     0     0
            nvme-eui.36363630549014840025385300000001-part3  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

pool: zfs01
 state: ONLINE
config:

NAME                                                STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        zfs01                                               ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror-0                                          ONLINE       0     0     0
            nvme-SAMSUNG_MZQL23T8HCLS-00A07_S64HNC0TA04423  ONLINE       0     0     0
            nvme-SAMSUNG_MZQL23T8HCLS-00A07_S64HNC0TA04426  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

However, this looks suspicious because it shows the ghost pool

Code:
root@ch01-pve01:~# ls /etc/systemd/system/zfs-import.target.wants/
 zfs-import-cache.service  'zfs-import@pve\x2dvm01.service'   zfs-import-scan.service   zfs-import@zfs01.service

When I try to remove this, I get an error that the file doesn't exist (maybe the path is wrong because I'm not doing the hexadecimal right).

Code:
root@ch01-pve01:~# rm /etc/systemd/system/zfs-import.target.wants/pve\x2dvm01.service
rm: cannot remove '/etc/systemd/system/zfs-import.target.wants/pvex2dvm01.service': No such file or directory

I've also done the following to clear the cache:

Code:
root@ch01-pve01:~# systemctl stop zfs-import-cache
root@ch01-pve01:~# rm -rf /etc/zfs/zpool.cache
root@ch01-pve01:~# systemctl start zfs-import-cache
root@ch01-pve01:~# systemctl is-enabled zfs-import-cache

Any ideas on how I can resolve this?

the file is called 'zfs-import@pve\x2dvm01.service', not 'pve\x2dvm01.service'. a simple systemctl disable zfs-import@pve\x2dvm01.service should also do the trick.

Reactions: cbapel
Thanks for the support. Below is what I did; I still have the same error on boot. I'm sure I've missed something simple, so my pre-emptive apologies. I also find it weird that the "-" in zfs-import stays dashy and but the pool is hexadecimal \x2d

I can view all the files in the directory with nano, except the problem file. Should I copy the files, scrap the directory, and re-create?

Code:
root@ch01-pve01:~# systemctl disable zfs-import@pve\x2dvm01.service

zfs-import-cache.service  'zfs-import@pve\x2dvm01.service'   zfs-import-scan.service   zfs-import@zfs01.service

root@ch01-pve01:~# rm /etc/systemd/system/zfs-import.target.wants/zfs-import@pve\x2dvm01.service
rm: cannot remove '/etc/systemd/system/zfs-import.target.wants/zfs-import@pvex2dvm01.service': No such file or directory

root@ch01-pve01:~# rm /etc/systemd/system/zfs-import.target.wants/zfs-import@pve-vm01.service
rm: cannot remove '/etc/systemd/system/zfs-import.target.wants/zfs-import@pve-vm01.service': No such file or directory

root@ch01-pve01:~# systemctl --failed
  UNIT                           LOAD   ACTIVE SUB    DESCRIPTION
● zfs-import@pve\x2dvm01.service loaded failed failed Import ZFS pool pve\x2dvm01

LOAD   = Reflects whether the unit definition was properly loaded.
ACTIVE = The high-level unit activation state, i.e. generalization of SUB.
SUB    = The low-level unit activation state, values depend on unit type.
1 loaded units listed.

Last edited:
the "rm" command needs escaping or quoting, like so

Code:
rm '/etc/systemd/system/zfs-import.target.wants/zfs-import@pve\x2dvm01.service'

Reactions: cbapel
It worked, and I've learned. Thank you, Fabian!

Code:
root@ch01-pve01:~# rm '/etc/systemd/system/zfs-import.target.wants/zfs-import@pve\x2dvm01.service'
zfs-import-cache.service  zfs-import-scan.service  zfs-import@zfs01.service

Reactions: fabian

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!