Old dude needs help with HD's

ConanTheLibrarian

May 23, 2024
I'll be upfront.. I'm a tinkerer, and have never done anything like this.. but I am a bit older and things have sped up around me (it's the reason I'm here). I have built a few Linux computers, but I'm weak on the CLI side.

I have read numerous articles, forum posts and watched a few videos. I'm a bit confused, and as a matter of fact, I am sometimes left more confused by all the acronyms and difference of opinion(s). This is not a complaint on everyone trying to help, It's more of their advanced abilities vs my lack-of, and more my wanting to do this right the 1st time, and not get frustrated and/or waste anyone's time.

This is in no way a production server, unless the router thing pans out.. but I'll have my current router ready and updated on a regular basis, as a backup.

Motherboard: ASUS Prime B660M-A AC D4 LGA 1700
CPU: Intel Core i3 (12th Gen) i3-12100 Quad-core (4 Core) 3.30 GHz Processor
RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws V Series Intel XMP DDR4
Hard drives: (2) Kingston NV2 500G M.2 2280 NVMe Internal SSD and (2) SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD322HJ 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5 (both with less than 100 hours of runtime). I'm not interested in b/u to NAS, across the network. Just 1 PC with all the HD's.

I'm looking to install 8.2, and apply only 2 VM's:
  • Windows 11 Pro for use with my camera system (using an external USB 2Tb HD for video backups).
  • OPNsense as my router.
What are the best options for my situation with PVE install, and VM's? What type of storage would be best suited.. and if Mirror would suffice both or ..maybe not. After that, I can at least start reapplying the rest of my setup with specific results in mind when looking online.

I hope you understand my apprehension, and thanks for your time.

When you're going through the setup, in the installation screen where it asks which hard drive you want to install things on, I'd personally hit the Options button then change the Filesystem type to be "zfs (RAID1)". Then select both of your Kingston NVMe drives.

That will mirror the Proxmox install onto both of them, so that if one goes bad you'll still be able to boot and use your system without too much hassle.

Proxmox will also set up the remaining space on those two NVM drives so you can store ISO images (useful), and store virtual machines on them.

When the system has finished installing and rebooted, then you can go into the web interface for your new system and configure the 2x Samsung hard drives as additional storage however you want. Probably as another ZFS pool for things, but that'll more depend on what you're wanting to do.

Ideally, you'll have some free time to just muck around with things for the learning side. So, just install Proxmox however you like with the awareness you'll probably be installing it again later on with different settings just to see how it goes with those instead. Possibly repeatedly if there's new stuff you want to try. :)

I will be starting my journey tomorrow.. and having a clearer picture is a great help. I'll read up on atlasos and find out if that'll be on my agenda as well. Thank you justinclift!

Reactions: justinclift

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!