Offsite Backup - DSL Reconnect

Bauanga

Feb 23, 2021
Hello Together!

I have installed a PBS server in another location so that I can do offsite backups. Everything works fine. However, in Germany every private DSL connection is forced to disconnect every 24 hours. The connection is re-established directly afterwards, but the backup aborts and fails. So I am limited with the offsite backup to the amount of data my DSL connection can copy in 24 hours. That is too little.

Is there a way to keep the backup running despite the forced disconnection?

Best regards!

you can backup locally and then sync offsite - the sync will continue where it left off when you start it again (or at most lose the progress in the last, partially synced snapshot if the pause between syncs is big and you run a garbage collection in-between).

Thank you for your answer Fabian. You mean that I make a backup to a local PBS instance and then pull it from an offsite PBS server? That would work despite a DSL reconnect?

That would mean that I would have to store at least one backup locally and that I would have to keep more memory free for backups. Is there any other way to push backups from PVE directly to an offsite PBS that is not stopped by a DSL reconnect?

Thank you for your answer Fabian. You mean that I make a backup to a local PBS instance and then pull it from an offsite PBS server? That would work despite a DSL reconnect?

yes. the sync will likely stop and be marked as failed, but all the progress that has been made up to that point is kept and the next sync will then proceed from there.

That would mean that I would have to store at least one backup locally and that I would have to keep more memory free for backups. Is there any other way to push backups from PVE directly to an offsite PBS that is not stopped by a DSL reconnect?

no, the backup assumes it has a stable connection and treats a disconnect as fatal error.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!