Offline Migration

gomer23

Mar 3, 2021
Hello, I have had Proxmox running on 2 nodes at home for a few months now. recently I had a issue trying to live migrated a VM between non-shared storage on the nodes. I was just going to shut it down and do a offline migration but my LVM-THIN storage pools are named differently on the nodes. When I first started with Proxmox the cluster wouldn't let me name the LVMs the same so I made them different and live migrations worked so I didn't dig too far into it. Now I wanted to see what I could have done, or can do to fix it. It looks like I can do the offline migration with qm migrate but in the GUI it tries to go to the same named storage target. I am running the same version of Proxmox on both nodes, 6.3.4. My storage.cfg is as follows:
lvmthin: ms-lvm
thinpool ms-lvm
vgname ms-lvm
content images,rootdir
nodes NODE1

lvmthin: bs-lvm
thinpool bs-lvm
vgname bs-lvm
content images,rootdir
nodes NODE2

Thanks!

Reactions: RolandK
Hi,
yes, for qm migrate there is the possibility to remap the storages with the targetstorage option. This is not exposed in the GUI yet.

Hi there, I was wondering, is there any timeline for this to be exposed in GUI as well?

Yes - I would like this as well - it seems silly that one would have to online a VM - just to be able to migrate via the UI - it works perfectly doing it via the shell:
qm migrate 800 pve --targetstorage target_storage

But it would be nice to just use the ui.

Is there any sort of solution for this?

For instance, I am running ZFS pools on both of my hosts named `zfs-<hostname>-01`. Could I theoretically migrate/power off everything in the pool, export the pool, and then rename (on both hosts), to where they'd then have the same storage name? Just spitballing.

Having the ability to do offline migrations within the GUI would be quite a bit more convenient than having to us `qm migrate` every time I don't want to live migrate

Hi,
Is there any sort of solution for this?

For instance, I am running ZFS pools on both of my hosts named `zfs-<hostname>-01`. Could I theoretically migrate/power off everything in the pool, export the pool, and then rename (on both hosts), to where they'd then have the same storage name? Just spitballing.
yes, you can do that, but you'll need to update your VM/CT configurations and storage configuration with the new storage name.
Having the ability to do offline migrations within the GUI would be quite a bit more convenient than having to us `qm migrate` every time I don't want to live migrate
It's likely to be in a future release, but I can't give an ETA.

Hi,

yes, you can do that, but you'll need to update your VM/CT configurations and storage configuration with the new storage name.

It's likely to be in a future release, but I can't give an ETA.
Thanks for the prompt response, Fabian.

I've gone ahead and attempted to do this by exporting my ZFS pool from my first node and renamed it to simply be `zfs-storage`

1657729160264.png

I then added it back into Proxmox using the ID "zfs". No problems here.

The problem, however, arises when I attempt to do this process with the other ZFS pool on my second node. Upon trying to add the pool, also named "zfs-storage", with the ID of "zfs", I receive this error:

1657729272567.png

It appears that I cannot have two ZFS pools with the same ID, which appears to be what is required in order to do an offline migration. Please correct me if I am misunderstanding

The storage configuration is shared between nodes. If you have a storage with the same name on multiple nodes, you can simply edit the storage configuration and adapt the Nodes restriction accordingly.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!