Offline migration and where settings are stored at?

achekalin

Jun 17, 2011
Hello,

I'm in process of testing 2.0 branch. As far, everything looks nice, but I got a few questions to check before I consider migrating from my current 1.9 servers:

1. Is there are way to read and edit VM settings not from GUI? In 1.9 I can find VM config at /etc/qemu-server/*.conf file and, say, copy it for backup purposes or use it as a template. In 2.0 it is not file but DB and I simple don't know (= not figured out yet) how to query it 'in legal way'.

2. How can I work with VLANs in 2.0? In 1.9 I had to setup all of my VLAN (VLAN1 .. VLAN100) on the LAN in host machine's like that:

Code:
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address  0.0.0.0
        netmask  0.0.0.0

auto eth0.1
iface eth0.1 inet static
        address  0.0.0.0
        netmask  0.0.0.0

... etc ...

auto eth0.100
iface eth0.100 inet static
        address  0.0.0.0
        netmask  0.0.0.0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet static
        address  x.x.x.x
        netmask  y.y.y.y
        gateway  x.x.x.1
        bridge_ports eth0.1
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

... etc ...

auto vmbr100
iface vmbr100 inet manual
        bridge_ports eth0.100
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

(which is boring, and I can not touch host machine network settings in GUI to prevent overwrite that file),

and then I assign needed vmbrN's to specified VMs. Boring againg, but works. Here, in 2.0, I see no way to configure VLANs via GUI, so should I use old trick or I simply miss something?

3. I need to setup scheme where some of my VMs are able to offline (at least offline) migrate between host machines. In 1.9 it is easy, in 2.0 I see some sophisticated setup which involve power source control unit (and I don't have it) etc, so will I'll be able to have at least offline migration in 2.0 branch?

4. Can I make a VMs backup on 1.9 and then simple restore it on 2.0? Will all of my settings be transfered to 2.0?

5. What plans on 1.x branch? Will 1.9 be the last version, or 1.x and 2.x be under development separately?

I know these sounds pretty newbie, but I'd prefer to ask gurus before transfer.

Thank you in advance! Really, for me this is a point in time to choose (partly due to hardware change, partly due to need to plan for new year), and I'm afraid to miss.

1. Is there are way to read and edit VM settings not from GUI? In 1.9 I can find VM config at /etc/qemu-server/*.conf file and, say, copy it for backup purposes or use it as a template. In 2.0 it is not file but DB and I simple don't know (= not figured out yet) how to query it 'in legal way'.

The config files are moved to /etc/pve/nodes/<nodename>/qemu-server/

2. How can I work with VLANs in 2.0? In 1.9 I had to setup all of my VLAN (VLAN1 .. VLAN100) on the LAN in host machine's like that:

Network config is still the same as in 1.9

3. I need to setup scheme where some of my VMs are able to offline (at least offline) migrate between host machines. In 1.9 it is easy, in 2.0 I see some sophisticated setup which involve power source control unit (and I don't have it) etc, so will I'll be able to have at least offline migration in 2.0 branch?

There is no sophisticated setup (you only need that for HA).

4. Can I make a VMs backup on 1.9 and then simple restore it on 2.0? Will all of my settings be transfered to 2.0?

More or less - you only need to recreate the network devices (new syntax).

5. What plans on 1.x branch? Will 1.9 be the last version, or 1.x and 2.x be under development separately?

Yes, 1.9 is likely the last version in the 1.X series.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!