Offline Debian Installation

ptmuldoon

Apr 28, 2012
I do a lot of playing and testing with VMWare while traveling on planes, etc for work, and was curious.

If I have an existing debian install in a virtual environment. And also have an iso of proxmox. Can you install proxmox onto debian without needing an internet connection to download the packages?

Has anyone ever done something like that before?

not really easy. but if you have vmware and the proxmox ve iso you can install it in 5 minutes. so why don´t you go the easy way?

Well, from a learning perspective, I'm simply seeing if it can be done.

But also, from everything I've been told. Proxmox does not support software raid. But debian does. So I'm looking to learn in a VMware environment to first install debian and than proxmox on top of that. And got curious if its possible to do it all offline since I have iso's of both. And I know I'll be on a plane for 5 boring hours come Monday morning, so wanted to try it all offline it possible while traveling

you can also install from Proxmox VE iso and use mdraid afterwards. e.g. http://www.howtoforge.com/proxmox-2-with-software-raid

I had no idea that was possible. All of reading here, the wiki, and google searching did not find that. I will definitely give that a shot over of the weekend, and it may even make moving an existing raid array easier as well.

I think with software raid working with proxmox, you can probably mount a raid array as a physical disk to a VM.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!