Official sollution for SWAP in PM 5.* and ZFS?

Mailinglists, I have tried setting swap use to a minimum (swappiness at zero) and in fact crashes became less frequent, but did not go away completely. I will now try to limit ARC max to 4 GB (on a 16 GB ram, 2 TB hard disk server with just 3 small VMs on) and I hope to get back some RAM to run a fourth VM while not making the server become painfully slow.

Or you could move swap away from ZVOLS for SWAP. If you have space, create a a SW RAID with madadm or LVM2 mirror.

Also you can calculate your RAM usage. RAM for VMs + ARC MAX + 2 GB should be less than 16 GB and it will not crash anymore.
That's how I calcuate for my hosts. 2 GB is for PM host, but i think you could get away with 1 GB for host also.

I don't have space for swap because I have set up PVE with its installer, and it leaves no space available. I have just now set ARC cache to 4 GB max on a 16 GB machine, and I should have more or less 5 GB free (considering the VMs and the ARC). I will now see how it works. I have set swappiness to 0.

Well, if you have no space anywhere for new SWAP partitions, you could always completely disable SWAP (swapoff -a, comment out entr in fstab).

But you basically stole my forum topic. :) Please open a new one, if required later.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!