official full encryption support

@embb I agree with you.

If you have to do it yourself, the easiest setup method is still using Proxmox VE itself. I often use a system inside my Proxmox VE (on ZFS) with the same number of disks but much, much smaller capacity (for most servery 2 disks) and then configure everything (e.g. FDE with SSH-based password input, additional patches, users, firewall, etc.) and test everything really well (you can also use public IPs in your lab to test).

If everything is ready to ship, I bootup a rescue system on the dedicated/root server and copy the content of the zvols to the local disks, fix them (e.g. partition table or GPT) and boot them up. If you have to do that multiple times, you can keep the images and use them every time, you only have to change the passwords and network configuration and 'have a lot of fun'.

Of course, it would be great if providers would do exactly this and supply a template which only needs a password change, but Proxmox VE does not have a big user base for most of the providers to go down that road. From my point of view, there is also not an easy integration of ssh-based FDE into pressed at the moment, yet I hope there will be soon :-D

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!