Official Documentation on Remove Old Kernels

Lonnie

Sep 16, 2014
Where is the Official Proxmox documentation that addresses the best practice for removing old kernels?

So far, none of the posts I've read (in the forum) satisfy me regarding this topic. Partly, this dissatisfaction is due to the fact that different posters are suggesting different practices and it is not clear which to choose.

Some suggestions seems overly involved in light of the fact that you can typically remove old kernels (in other Linux environments) by simply typing one command:
sudo apt-get autoremove

In ubuntu, I have a hot key that types this as one command entry:

(echo ; echo AUTOREMOVE and CLEAN;
time sudo apt --yes autoremove ; sudo apt clean ; echo ;
echo UPDATE ;
time sudo apt update ; echo ;
echo UPGRADE
time sudo apt --yes upgrade ; echo)

As you can see, I remove old kernels before every update, so that I always keep my last running kernel before installing a new one (this is all that's needed).

And by the way, why doesn't the "Proxmox GUI update" automatically remove old kernels? I understand that it should keep maybe the last two kernels, but the way it works right now it will keep 100 of them.

Keeping such a long list of old kernels slows down each update you perform; you can see them listed and taking up time on each update.

Last edited:
I`m old fashion user. I do it manually with aptitude and I see no problem with it. The new changes will help you :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!