odd lvm behavior

pattonb

Oct 20, 2020
I have a proxmox 6.3-4 host, I have a vm with several storage locations ( raid arrays). It has been running fine.
last week, something happened and needed a reboot. So i took the vms down, and rebooted, it did not come back
up. after troubleshooting, it appeared a share disk ( I am not sure on the proper terminology), was not to be found.
so, I edited the /etc/fstab on the vm. and everything came back up without issue. except the one disk/partition did not show up, as expected.
so, I tried to add the disk in again, via command line, (using the same syntax as I had previously).
Code:
qm set 101 -scsi2 /dev/disk/by-uuid/a5c9f726-b082-46b8-a91e-76e2263054f0

however, the uuid seems to have disappeared. I don't see it on the host ( /dev/disk/by-uuid). I am not sure why this would occur.

the fdisk -l, etc. shows all raid arrays ( yes in the host I have 3 raid arrays) there, but I don't see any uuid's corresponding to what was there the previous day.

I am at a lost on what process/path to follow know. any ideas.

thanks kindly

A bit more information is needed. What kind of RAID do you use? mdraid? What is the status of the RAID? Does the disk show up somewhere else? (/dev/sdX or /dev/disk/by-*)

sorry, the explanation is a bit lacking. The raid is raid 1, (hardware). I have been investigating, and I think what happened, was, I created a couple of new vm's and somehow they used the storage of that raid 1, I have 3 raid arrays on the server. I have since removed those vm's , and am not using the lvm for anything. There is a 3ware utility 3dm2, and last I looked, a few dys ago, it showed all arrays as 'OK' . now I am unable to access the web page, hmmmm. I suspect when I created the vms, it did something to the raid array/lvm, possibly used that for local storage, It shouldn't normally be used for new vm's .I haven't looked a whole lot further. the lsblk, shows the following. the array/partition in question is sdc, I had setup the array as 1 partition, the full size, now it shows a 210 g partition, I am intersted in seeing what is/was on the remainder of the disk.

Attachments

• backup3.PNG
    backup3.PNG
    20.6 KB · Views: 1
I checked the fstab of the vm, that had used the disk, and that uuid is not to be seen on the host.
the lvm does show up, using a different uuid, than it had 10 days ago. I can supply that info, if it helps

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!