O_Direct Error - Write through / Write back

Ma907xb

Dec 26, 2018
USA
Hello,

I've gotten the O_DIRECT error when starting VMs. I have (1) SSD at 232gb and (1) 1tb disk drive. I configured as RAID 0 just to get things going as I will be changing my configuration in the future.

I read in the documentation to enable write back to stop the O_DIRECT error. This solves the problem, but when write through is enabled it also stops the error

What is the difference between write through and write back?

QmWO3Dk.jpg

Hello there,

It's techniques to improve write speed on slow spin disks, which deals with write pages, different techniques changes performance You can click in Help at the bottom left.

Cheers

i guess you use a directory storage on top of zfs? if yes, please don't, use zfs directly via a 'zfs storage'

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!