Nvidia Grid K10 and K2 cards Passthrough?

Joseph Chrzempiec

Jun 9, 2016
Hello I'm still new to linux and proxmox and I'm trying setup a couple of Virtual systems using either a K10 and or K2 Nvidia Grid cards. I found a lot of things for Errors and how to repair a setup. But not able to find anything on how i can set it up or some kind of guide. Unless Im searching in the wrong place. I really need help. Can someone please help me?

Joseph

Hello no i have not seen that page before thank you. I'm looking through it now. But one thing I'm unsure of is how to add these modules. I'm not much of a linux person i never did modules before. I did do the check and them modules are currently not there. This is the latest proxmox i have installed.

Joseph

that is actually written in the documentation:

You have to make sure the following modules are loaded. This can be achieved by adding them to ‘/etc/modules

this just means that the names of the modules should be added to the file '/etc/modules'
for example my local /etc/modules looks like this (please do not just copy mine, will probably not work on your machine):

Code:
nvidia
nvidia_modeset
nvidia_uvm
nvidia_drm
gim
vfio-pci

Hello I have tired to do the passthrough from This site. And when i go to start up the VM i get this error TASK ERROR: IOMMU not present. I have tired a old video card its a 2GB GTX video card i know it does work. I did add GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on" becuase it is a intel cpu.

edit: I can see the video card when i add the pci it shows up as 01:00.0

Last edited:
Hello just a update. I have finally got a passthought working and put a old GTX nvidia card and seems to take. I had to enable somethings in the bios. I thought i have enable it in the past, I guess i didn't i did enable. Now i do see it in the windows VM in the device manger i did download the latest drivers from Nvidia it did install but i get a code error of 43. I'm seeing that with other people who have proxmox with nvidia cards. No luck trying to fix the error code. Has anyone got a new ideas on that?

No luck trying to fix the error code. Has anyone got a new ideas on that?
please post your vm config (qm config ID)

this error occurs mostly when the nvidia driver detects a vm and refuses to load, which can be prevented, but does not always work...

you can just write 'qm config ID' on the shell and copy/paste the output

Hello thank you here it is.

bootdisk: ide0
cores: 3
cpu: host
hostpci0: 01:00
ide0: local-lvm:vm-100-disk-0,size=100G
ide2: cdrom,media=cdrom
memory: 8000
name: VMWindows-7-10upgrade
net0: e1000=7E:14:10:D4:13:44,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: win10
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=40c1b30c-a2a8-476f-8f16-e5d982d9b792
sockets: 1
vga: memory=16
vmgenid: 0bb53569-c583-4b30-97b8-958ea67dfaea

Oh i notice the pci is not there. I disconnected the video card. I reconnected it and here is the update config.

bootdisk: ide0
cores: 3
cpu: host
hostpci0: 01:00
ide0: local-lvm:vm-100-disk-0,size=100G
ide2: cdrom,media=cdrom
memory: 8000
name: VMWindows-7-10upgrade
net0: e1000=7E:14:10:D4:13:44,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: win10
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=40c1b30c-a2a8-476f-8f16-e5d982d9b792
sockets: 1
vga: memory=16
vmgenid: 0bb53569-c583-4b30-97b8-958ea67dfaea

ok, you can workaround the nvidia detection in two ways, either you add ',x-vga=on' to the hostpci line, or ',hv-vendor-id=sometext' to the 'cpu' option

both things essentially change the text the hypervisor presents to the vm (and should fix nvidia detection)

Hello i added the ,x-vga=on to the hostpci like this hostpci0: 01:00,x-vga=on nd that seem to work no errors i didn't even have to reboot.

In the device manger i do see the Nvidia card adapter with no error and i also see a remote display adapter I'm guessing that is for the remote desktop sense I'm using it. and also i see a microsoft basic display adapter.

Sense i use remote desktop only thing i can not do is change the screen resolution. I can do that if i open the proxmox kvm window.

Last edited:
Hello i added the ,x-vga=on to the hostpci like this hostpci0: 01:00,x-vga=on nd that seem to work no errors i didn't even have to reboot.

In the device manger i do see the Nvidia card adapter with no error and i also see a remote display adapter I'm guessing that is for the remote desktop sense I'm using it. and also i see a microsoft basic display adapter.

Sense i use remote desktop only thing i can not do is change the screen resolution. I can do that if i open the proxmox kvm window.
Some cards need a dummy plug or a real monitor plugged in to allow full usage, tho which cards and whether it's just 3D acceleration i don't know for sure.

Hello James Crook i notice if I'm in the KVM console window i can change the sceen resolution but there is no sound. But if I'm in remote desktop i can not change the screen resolution but i have sound. A little strange Well for me that is. Not sure if this is normal or not.

Is there a way to make screen resolution work in remote desktop?

Last edited:
Hello James Crook i notice if I'm in the KVM console window i can change the sceen resolution but there is no sound. But if I'm in remote desktop i can not change the screen resolution but i have sound. A little strange Well for me that is. Not sure if this is normal or not.

Windows RDP screen size is setup on connection, and you can't change the size via right clicking on the desktop.
Proxmox console doesn't pass sound.

It's pretty normal

Oh so the desktop remote works off the same screen resolution as what I'm currently using on my laptop. I changed my laptop from 1366x768 to 1024x768 and when i reopen the remote to the Vm i saw the same thing. I get it now.

Hello just a update i got the gtx285 card working. But for some odd reason i can not get the grid K10 card to see. I'm not sure what to do next does anyone have any ideas how should i precede? I know the card is there. I just can't see it.

Joseph

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!