number of VM per server

Maher Khalil

Jul 11, 2021
Hello
I got to know that in windows you can create only 64 VM per server and also in VMware you can assign only 128 Vcpu.
so, what is limitations in proxmox?
please note I talk only about KVM because it is not applicable for containers

You can create unlimited VMs on every Hypervisor. In HyperV or ESXi, you have License Limitations for running VMs. But most your CPU limits more as the License.
Proxmox is open Source and have no limitations. Your Limit is your Hardware.

but I read also in redhat website that maximum vCPUs is limited to 160 per physical server, is that because of license also?

:)
so I can put any number of VMs on host provided that no. of VCPS = physical CPUs x (no. of threads x no. of cores)
and adequate no. of ram
am I right now?

:)
so I can put any number of VMs on host provided that no. of VCPS = physical CPUs x (no. of threads x no. of cores)
and adequate no. of ram
am I right now?
Jep.

I think I've read somewhere that Intel recommends for VT-d/VT-x to not use more than 8 vCPUs per 1 physical core.

I have some hosts with 40 physical cores, and 300vms with 2cores.

They are no technical limit of number of vms/cores vs number of physical cpus, but loadverage could grow even if you dont use too much cpu, because of context switches between the vm threads.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!