Number of vCPU per core with Proxmox

kalluzerr

Nov 25, 2019
Hello,
I would have liked to know, how many vCPUs per core should I take for Proxmox.
I know that under ESXi you have to take 4/6 vcpu per core before going into hyperthreding.
I can't find the information on the Proxmox doc.
I need it to calculate the number of Vm per server.
Thank you.

this depends largely on what your vms/containers are doing... if they are doing next to nothing, you can oversubscribe the cpus much more than when every vm is using 100% of its cpu cycles...

I think there is not such rule for this on any hypervisor... the CPU overcommit is something that is maybe OK for you but not for others, its depends on the workloads you have and the performance you expect for your environment. if you want to guarantee 100% allocation of vCPU processing for each guest at 100% every time, don't do overcommit, if you dont care about the guest CPU performance, you can allocate as many vCPU as you like... is simple like that.

The only rule that applies regarding CPU overcommit is that you can't allocate more vCPUs than you have physically at proxmox node..

Example, if your proxmox node has one 8/16 CPU, you cant allocate more than 16 vcpu per guest..

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!