noVNC: copy paste not works

When using NoVNC it would be very helpful if we could paste from browser clipboard into the VM.

If we can send ctrl+alt+delete to the VM surely we can also send the characters on the clipboard as keyboard input.
User presses paste button, javascript in browser reads clipboard, sends the characters as keyboard input into the VM.

Spice is not an alternative for the noVNC console. It requires client software installation and as e100 mentioned, signed drivers are a problem.

I know it's just a workaround but I'm using Keepass2 for general pw storage and it has a configurable auto-type facility. I can easily be configured to paste username, password, or just the password, etc. It emulates keystrokes so it cane be used almost universally. I'm using it for eg. pasting passwords into noVNC in a browser, works fine.

If you are using linux on your workstation there is an OS setting that can allow for one-way paste.
I am running Ubuntu 14.04, this is what I did:

1. Install some packages
Code:
sudo apt-get install xdotool xclip
2. Open up the Keyboard settings and click on shortcuts tab.
3. Created new custom shortcut named "SendKeys" with this command:
Code:
sh -c 'sleep 1.0; xdotool type "$(xclip -o -selection clipboard)"'
shortcut.png
4. Assign Ctrl+Shift+B to the shorcut
shortcut3.png

Now I can simply press Ctrl+Shift+B and the OS will type out whatever is on my clipboard.
Don't hold Ctrl+Shift+B down longer than one second or unexpected things will happen (potentially causing harm), if this causes you issues increase the sleep time in the command.

Credit for this idea should be directed here:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/212154/create-a-custom-shortcut-that-types-clipboard-contents

Last edited:
Reactions: vbits
We're now try to integrate noVNC into WHMCS (www.whmcs.com).

The noVNC feature very interested since no need to download Java Runtime, I found open multi Java Console causing interference on FireFox, no need to install SPICE on Client side and inside VPS, noVNC also faster.

But Java Console also has some advantage:
- the button command need only 1 click, while on noVNC we need to expand dropdown menu

I guess we can manage the noVNC button using correct template and css file.

BTW, I read noVNC supports "Clipping or scrolling modes for large remote screens".

You can change the default viewer (ie. the one that launches on single click) in Datacenter/Options. Where I upgraded to 3.3 or the 3.2 that already included this feature it was always automatically set to default, but you can change it manually, too.

those who don't want to use spice and on windows can use autohotkey to send the contents of the clipboard to the window.

The following Autohotkey script when running will paste the text in clipboard when you have window active and type ctrl-alt-v

Code:
^!v::
SetKeyDelay, 35, 15
SendRaw, %Clipboard%

Last edited:
How to paste in SPICE console when conected to proxmox server?

I second this. Please tell us how to do this. It doesn't work with Ubuntu 14.04 as host and Windows as guest. There seems to be no copy&paste function in virtviewer.

dietmar I saw you online many times now but you didn't respond yet.

Could you please elaborate at least one host-guest setup and the requirements and steps needed to be able to copy and paste from guest to host and vice-versa per SPICE?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!