[SOLVED] Notify: __RECIEVERS__ only if local

dallenk

Dec 19, 2019
Good morning.. I have a need to create an action based on incoming emails.. especially MS documents will all the crap floating around. I have created an action "Notify: __RECIEVER__" that the document has been Quarantined, but don't want them to have to wait till the next morning to see it in the spam reports

But, I only want this applied to local domains if that is possible. I've noticed a huge increase over the last few weeks of MS word documents making it though the spam system, so if a document is expected the local user will get a notification right away and they can verify in the quarantine and deliver it.

Thanks.

Regarding the part of only local users get notified - simply make to rule to trigger only on inbound mails

so if a document is expected the local user will get a notification right away and they can verify in the quarantine and deliver it
The user will get an e-mail with the link to the quarantine once per day (at 00:04) - this link can be used as long as there are mails in the quarantine for that user

If you want all mails to get delivered directly - it makes more sense to tag the subject - (ATTENTION word-document!)
if all mails with documents are in the quarantine then users will learn to simply download them - the special checks and care usually is not more intensive whether one opens an attachment or clicks on a link

I hope this helps!

Regarding the part of only local users get notified - simply make to rule to trigger only on inbound mails

The user will get an e-mail with the link to the quarantine once per day (at 00:04) - this link can be used as long as there are mails in the quarantine for that user

If you want all mails to get delivered directly - it makes more sense to tag the subject - (ATTENTION word-document!)
if all mails with documents are in the quarantine then users will learn to simply download them - the special checks and care usually is not more intensive whether one opens an attachment or clicks on a link

I hope this helps!

Thanks for the response, I do have the subject changed, but also quarantined. As my MTA also uses proxmox for outbound emails, would this filter also apply if a local user was to attach an MS document to an external recipient.. would proxmox also send the notification to the external __RECIEVERS__??

That is what I want to avoid, only local domain users should get a notification a suspect email, but allow outbound from local users as I have several security checks already in place on the MTA.

After extensive testing, only inbound email to local users will get that warning.. outbound mail will flow with a doc attachment as there isn't a filter defined for outbound mail.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Not sure I understand the statement completely.
But if you've setup your system correctly and outbound mail goes to the internal port - and you set a rule to be inbound only - then this works

Glad this worked out!

Please mark the thread as 'SOLVED'
Thanks!

It's behind the 3 dots '...' above the first post -> Edit Thread -> select 'SOLVED' as prefix (for the next time :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!