Notification SMTP undeliverable (bare line feed characters)

Andi@AXS

Aug 25, 2024
Hi there,

this forum helped me a lot in my journey so far with my Proxmox VE, so I am surprised, that I couldn't find a post about my problem.

I set up an email Notification with the type SMTP. The test notification works, and the one time a backup didn't work, it also sent a correct email.
Now I logged in to my sending Email account, and I saw a lot of rejected Email notifications.
Your message contains invalid characters (bare line feed characters) which the email servers at xxx.com don't support.
After reading a bit online, as far as I understand, this error comes from a line feed ... duh ... in the original message that could be used to inject a malformed message.
Then I checked the returned Email, and I think I found the culprit, the subject.

Subject: SMART error (OfflineUncorrectableSector) detected on host:
*hostname*

The Email path is PVE via SMTP → gmx.net → outlook.com → 1&1
1&1 (kundenserver.de) return the Email with this message:

550 5.6.11 SMTPSEND.BareLinefeedsAreIllegal; message contains
bare linefeeds, which cannot be sent via DATA and receiving
system does not support BDAT

I can't find where to configure the subject as I suspect, it is a configuration issue. (Or can I set a rule that replaces line feeds with whitespace or something similar?)
Also, I recon, 1&1 uses an old standard that does not support BDAT, which could be concerning?
If someone has a pointer for me on where to start, I would be very greatful!
In the meantime, I am going to check my drives ...

Thanks in advance!
Greetings Andi

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!