Not enough space in PVE-Root

If you have free space in the pve VG, you can allocate additional storage from it to /pve/root. Then resize the filesytem.
If there's no space available from that VG, you need to add some first. Which generally means adding additional PVs (partitions or entire disks) to the VG.
Alternatively, identify the directory causing you to run out of space and mount a a new volume there, syncing over the contents prior to doing so.
It is unusual for the rootfs to need so much storage. Probably better to look at storing that overhead elsewhere.

Last edited:
If you have free space in the pve VG, you can allocate additonal storage from it to /pve/root. Then resize the filesytem.
If there's no space available from that VG, you need to add some first. Which generally means adding additonal PVs (partitions or entire disks) to the VG.
Alternatively, identify the directory causing you to run out of space and mount a a new volume there, syncing over the contents prior to doing so.
It is unusual for the rootfs to need so much storage. Probably better to look at stroing that overhead elsewhere.
No free space in pve/root. Too much free space in pve/data. How can I extend pve/root?

No free space in pve/root. Too much free space in pve/data. How can I extend pve/root?
If there's no free space in VG pve and you don't want to add additonal PVs to the VG pve, then you need to shrink pve/data first. Good luck.

I read in another thread that the Thin Pool size cannot be reduced. Can I create LV from the thin pool and mount to / directory? Does anyone know how to do this if possible?

If you manage to achieve that, you will end up with a very unusual setup that's likely to cause problems down the road (booting, kernel upgrades etc). Also, if space is at such a premium, what do you plan on doing with the original root volume?
I'd look at why your root fs is so full and remedy the cause. Are you actually utilising the thin volume for all VM/CT disks or are they being stored (perhaps unintentionally) on the rootfs?

If you manage to achieve that, you will end up with a very unusual setup that's likely to cause problems down the road (booting, kernel upgrades etc). Also, if space is at such a premium, what do you plan on doing with the original root volume?
I'd look at why your root fs is so full and remedy the cause. Are you actually utilising the thin volume for all VM/CT disks or are they being stored (perhaps unintentionally) on the rootfs?
I am using Proxmox with Virtualizor. Template files of operating systems are stored in pve/root. I thought 100GB would be enough, but it wasn't enough :)

I am not familiar with Virtualizor. However if these 'template files' are the main culprit, then maybe create a thinpool backed volume as you suggested, but mounted in the existing root fs somewhere appropriate (/var/lib/virtualizor-templates or where ever Virtualizor expects to find them).

Reactions: Talha

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!